yakfishing

Author Topic: Your experiences/thoughts of the big three Muskoka, Joseph, and Rousseau  (Read 2143 times)

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
Insanity is Lake Mazinaw in Bon Echo provincial park. 460 ft deep , second deepest and has legendary lake monster like Nessie. And the monster sturgeon in its depths. This Mike or others is another great spot for fishing, i had the chance to stay at the Cabin on the hill which is the original rangers home for the park and now rented out. I had it the july 1st holiday week one year. Lake trout, bass and other species

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
Very deep and gin clear lake, deepest I've seen is 210 ft on Skeleton.
Three Mile Lake is basically a flat lake all 9 to 10 ft, Hamel Bay has some deep spots.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
@unchained Lake Joseph has spots over 350 feet deep, don't drop anything!!

holy crap that's insane.  I've heard Skeleton is surprisingly deep as well.   Meteor Strike lake.  Nearby 3mile is only about 10feet for most of it.

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
@unchained Lake Joseph has spots over 350 feet deep, don't drop anything!!

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell sold their cottage and no longer in Muskoka. Always great people.

You could probably feed a small African nation for a year with what they likely got for it.

They did very well with it as they bought many years ago before the boom and status came with Muskoka properties. Unreal what's being built here now.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell sold their cottage and no longer in Muskoka. Always great people.

You could probably feed a small African nation for a year with what they likely got for it.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
Lake Muskoka is a solid smallmouth fishery.   Pike too.  Lakers deep if you're equipped for it. 

Fish 'the flats' and you'll find your fair share of 2-4 lb smallies.  (more 2 than 4, like everywhere)

I spent probably 30 hrs fishing muskoka last summer and I never caught a Largie.   Ever.  Caught about 25 smallies and 3-4 pike though. And it's not like I just fished humps out in the middle of the lake.  We worked shoreline and docks and weeds and lillies.   But really it's a great smallie fishery.  Not that the largies aren't there...they're just not everywhere like they are most places.

Scenery is great.  There are other lakes up in the area that are also great.   

As was mentioned, the big lakes are massive, so it's easy to get overwhelmed.    I saw 170 feet a few times on the fishfinder, which was shocking.  I had no idea it was that deep.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:21:27 PM by Unchained »

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
Small would definitely be better, so much water to cover on the big three and fish don't stack up in summer. Try Horseshoe Lake just above top of Joe, Great Lake and giant fish. All species.

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
Thanks for all the input.

Okay, so was also thinking off maybe a small lake somewhere near the norh end of Joseph.

Overall, seems nobody has a preference for one lake over the others?

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
Mike ive fished all three and all great for fishing. The smaller surrounding lakes i actually prefer for the less traffic and still plenty of different species. Always great to pullover and plop in the yak in a nice lake. I like around Mactier to Parrysound.  Awesome scenery also. And many with little of no cottages, and less chance of running into a powerboat. Hopefully will be up that way mid summer. Try out the Hobie SUP and land some beauties

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
Lots of fish in all the lakes, find the baitfish and the fish follow. Mostly minnow chasers, deeper fish chase smelt shallow fish chase perch. Can't go wrong with a tube deep, it's like a steak to them.

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
I was at the farmer's market in Rosseau a few years ago and Goldie Hawn turned up in a lineup behind me. At some point she shifted into entertainer mode and it was like the spotlight was on her for an old Laugh-in routine. A good chuckle for everyone but you wonder how she keeps it up full time. Apart from Muskoka being a special part of the world physically, it's towns are a good place to celebrity-watch if you're into that. Big names like Gary (Fishbait), Wayne (Canuckbass), and probably one or two others.  ;D

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
I was at the farmer's market in Rosseau a few years ago and Goldie Hawn turned up in a lineup behind me. At some point she shifted into entertainer mode and it was like the spotlight was on her for an old Laugh-in routine. A good chuckle for everyone but you wonder how she keeps it up full time. Apart from Muskoka being a special part of the world physically, it's towns are a good place to celebrity-watch if you're into that. Big names like Gary (Fishbait), Wayne (Canuckbass), and probably one or two others.  ;D

Offline Canuckbass

• Yakmaster
May have fished them all one or five hundred times. You'll enjoy. My favourite spot is fifty feet off Cindy Crawfords dock, haven't caught anything but the view is spectacular.

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
Your experiences/thoughts of the big three Muskoka, Joseph, and Rousseau
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
Hi,

I'm thinking of planning a family trip out toward Muskoka this summer.

I haven't actually fished any of these lakes other than ice fishing on Joseph.  I generally fish for SM bass, pickerel, pike, and lake trout.

What are people's thoughts on the big three? Which lake do people prefer and why? Are there areas people avoid?

I'm not into anything fancy, or comparing expensive boats. I'll be kayak fishing and just relaxing.

PM's welcome too.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:26:29 AM by MikeM »

yakfishing