yakfishing

Author Topic: Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest pants  (Read 2403 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest pants
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
If you need a zipper in the back of a pair of waders you've got bigger problems than just the waders.

Exactly the point I was making.

Yakfisher

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Dips

• Old Salt
  • James - Hobie Outback/ Sundolphin Aruba 12SS
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »
Just go in the waders and rinse.  :P

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
If you need a zipper in the back of a pair of waders you've got bigger problems than just the waders.  That would look absolutely hillarious

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:07 AM »
I haven't noticed any leaking in my Kokotats but, other than the feet, they're rarely immersed in the water so I don't really know. Mine are into their 8th year now (I think) and best guess is that I've used them around 150-200 days on the water so endurance quality really isn't a problem.

As a side note, two or three years ago I had a "relief zipper" installed which makes it much more convenient to, as the Aussies say, drain the dragon. I got tired of wriggling around trying to get the neoprene cummerbund down over my fat a** then back up again afterwards. Further to that, I've heard that a certain forum member might want to think of installing the zipper in the back!  :o As this is a G rated forum, no further explanation will be provided, at least by me.

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 05:06:41 AM »
Where did they spring leaks, or did you just out grow them :P

They eventually started leaking on the seams. Like any 3 ply garment, the seam tape eventually starts to leak a bit.

Offline k4l3

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
think I was one of first on here with orginal Tempest pant and still using it..

Even after Pat toss spinner bait in my lap at OKFC..

my Tempest pant sock is really big on me, am not sure they design pant for the sock to be mend to walk long distance.  I wear them with neoprene boots with rubber sole only for kayaking

Think that the different between the dry pant and river walking waders, sock made to handle walking/fiction.   I know my fly fishing wader sock can handle walking the river in boots,  I don't wear kayak dry pant to walk the river..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:50:11 AM by k4l3 »

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
I have had the pants for several years and now have the Gore-tex version of the pants.  I don't like the Neoprene sock that similar style pants have.  I use a Neoprene Boot from NRS to where over (1 or 2 sizes larger) and it is very comfortable and you don't have the extra weight of a wading boot. 

My original Tempest pant still doesn't leak.

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
Where did they spring leaks, or did you just out grow them :P

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:46:33 AM »
Great pants. I am on my second pair, after getting about 300 days out of my first pair. They have been lifesavers on many trips, from spring whitewater to summer brookie fishing on Superior.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
thanks for the review.  I was looking for a pair of pants and those kept coming up

what size did you get?  How tall are you?

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest pants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
I just purchased these last week and used them on a Sunday kayak outing.  I bought these for both kayaking and river fishing as waders.  So far I can say the quality does feel good.  The fit is not bad but I'm tall and thin so its hard to look sexy in them.  After years of using wader pants of cheaper quality I decided to go with these.  At $200, they're not much more than wader pants at the usual fishing stores, typically running $150.00.  They have a neoprene waist belt which is a nice idea to keep the water out should I dunk, however I would have liked a neoprene bootie as well instead of the same material the waders are made of.  I can see this becoming an issue when wading the creeks and sand entering my wading boots, wearing a hole in the material.  All in all they do feel like a quality product but time will tell.

yakfishing