yakfishing

Author Topic: Here it is again - evaluating baitcaster reels  (Read 3559 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Here it is again - evaluating baitcaster reels
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
Not low profile but a 200 series cardiff with upgraded ceramic bearings will last a liftime. It was the first tournament grade baitcaster I bought and have outlasted all of my other baitcaster. I've hooked up with bass, pike, and musky, no problem. I have 3 now and would add more, the only thing I wouldn't use the for is flipping.

Quanto questa? ($?)

Yakfisher

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
yakfishing

Offline Bob McKenzie

• Yakfisher
  • Scott Canoe feather 11'-4"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »
Not low profile but a 200 series cardiff with upgraded ceramic bearings will last a liftime. It was the first tournament grade baitcaster I bought and have outlasted all of my other baitcaster. I've hooked up with bass, pike, and musky, no problem. I have 3 now and would add more, the only thing I wouldn't use the for is flipping.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Here it is again - evaluating baitcaster reels
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »
Well, I sold the paddle prize that I won at the Dunville catfish event and have decided to spend some of the proceeds on booze and fast women  :P and waste the rest on a baitcaster rig to replace that rig of mine that now resides at the bottom of the river.

I know there are some real (or is that reel) gearheads among the members of this forum and would like anyone who feels capable of doing so to chime in with advice for me about selecting a rod/reel combo. Here's what I'm looking for:
  • medium weight, fast action tip
  • two piece
  • probably 6'6" to 7' to get around the bow of my kayak
  • low profile, left hand retrieve reel
  • not entry level. I don't need high performance but I want good quality
  • best place to buy in the GTA including Barrie
I've (now) got a few bucks to spend but am not at all interested in the high end Cadillac models some of you get.

I've heard that, despite the fact there are a seemingly endless number of brands of reels out there, there are only two or three manufacturing facilities worldwide. I don't know if this is true but I do know that I will never again knowingly buy another Rapala product (lures excepted).

There's considerable information online but I'm leery of internet reports from people with hidden vested interests or just plain wankers. I'll be interested in any comments posted here and thanks in advance.

yakfishing