yakfishing

Author Topic: Life Straw  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Steelheader84

• Junior Yakker
Re: Life Straw
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
Either or works  ;D as long at you keep hydrated whatever works, works. Again thank you for the review.

Yakfisher

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
yakfishing

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
"Beaver fever" actually has nothing to do with beavers other than they're just one a whole bunch of creatures crapping in the water. It's a parasitic or bacterial infection caused by fecal contamination in the water.

I've used those 10 litre plastic jugs with turn on/off spigots on canoe and kayak trips for many years now. Fill it up with water below the surface out from shore on a lake, add the little purification pills as instructed, and you're good to go. All available at MEC.

Apparently the pills aren't good for every form of contamination but I've never had a problem. Just start with the cleanest water you can find. I wouldn't recommend swamp water, in fact, quite the opposite.

Offline Steelheader84

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »
Mmmm beaver fever... I'm good with stashing a no frills bag full of 10 water bottles myself. Or one of those 5L Coleman water jugs with the handle and the button pour spot at the bottom. Sure it takes up room, but I'm confident of the quality.

Appears to be a great product. Good find!

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »
Good post. Hey i work in a level 4 water facility in Windsor. My best advice is first do good research on any product used for filtering water, and stay outta water ways that have the possibilty of beavers in them.   Boiling is by far the best way to prevent problem water issues.  Keep yourself hydrated but safely.

Offline finny

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
After 36 hours not sick so next time will drink more via the straw and see what happens.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
saw that on a youtube video.  Brilliant if it works. 

Let us know how it goes :)

Offline MoneyMike

• Yakmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
I believe the company also invests in clean water iniatives in 3rd world countries, but I could be wrong.

Offline finny

• Yakfisher
Life Straw
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »
I always seem to run out of drinking water when I go fishing and I don't do so well without keeping hydrated so when this product came across my path I decided to buy one.  Well that and I thought it would be cool  I tried it out for the first time today.

Details: $25, minimum rating of 1000L of water filtration.  Measures about 8" by 1" cylinder. 2oz
What is it suppose to do?  remove 99.9999% of water bacteria.

Well, I figure there is no oil scum a few inches down and the fish are good to eat and the locals get water from the lake so I figure that I would bring some water and supplement with the Life Straw.

Read the instructions.  Found an area that was not too stagnant and without stink pot oil slicks, that was really easy. I primed the unit by soaking all but he tip for 20 seconds and then made 5 quick sips to get water going and then it was just like drinking from a straw.  I sensed a fish smell or taste at first but that was likely my fishy hands doing that, still didn't taste bad but it started tasting good.  It was very cooly refreshing if I kept the straw below the first 3 inches of water, closer to the surface the water tasted a bit warm.
I really needed the water, I was already feeling dehydrated, I figured in total I drank the equivalent of 1-2 8oz glasses via the straw.   I should have drank more but felt safer not going overboard with the drinking and literally going overboard leaning over to drink water.  A side benefit with having my head so close to the water surface was that there was no glare and I saw some fish and bottom.

Cons: tube cannot be bashed around, but the steel version of this might resolve this.

So, if I get stomach issues this week I will post back but otherwise I glad I bought it and figure that others here would find it a very useful thing to have with them.  I found mine on Amazon and they do make a steel version and the water bottle version is worth consideration.

I don't work for the company, or do reviews for money or products or anything like that.  I figured others may not have seen the product, it is handy and pretty unique.

another product hat uses and UV light AND kills viruses and 100% bacteria: CamelBack, pricier and uses batters but some people buy that instead. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:06:25 PM by finny »

yakfishing