yakfishing

Author Topic: Selecting the right Fishing Rod  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
Re: Selecting the right Fishing Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
I'm another one whose pet peeve is how ambiguous "Power" ratings are, even between different lines of rods with the same manufacturer.  I like the Euro system of classifying rods, but that has as much chance of catching on here as the Metric system in the US :D

All Euro rods are based on the "test curve", string a rod and see how much weight it takes to make a 90 degree bend.  An UL will be around 1 1/4lb test curve, a musky cue around 3 1/2lb.  How far down the blank it bends is it's action, 25% is fast, 50% moderate, 50%+ slow.  It's universal, makes sense, so therefor will never be adopted in N.America!  :D

Yakfisher

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
yakfishing

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Old Salt
  • Snagglefish, Weeddlefish, Oh Fish-On
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
Yup, Ugly Sticks rock in a rod holder off a ball..10 lb test for 20 lb fish.
Have broken many graphite rods but no uglies due to bad handling.
Do appreciate one piece rods, really thick at the reel and tapered fine at the tip.
A good fisherman has many rods.  :)

Offline dwc67

• Yakmaster
  • Karma....it's only a bitch if you are
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
Thinking of buying a 7' medium Ugly Stick again, kinda like a 30-06, not much good in anything specific, but does it all ! Na !  :)

lol
the 9ft med ugly stick spinning rod is the best kayak deep salmon trout trolling rod i have found. i shortened the butts on 2 to be more yak friendly and have gimbal but caps coming from mud hole so they lock in my holders

Offline Adam

• Administrator
  • Old Salt
  • Site Owner - Outback LE #280
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
Good article and indeed you open the Pandora box now.

Where I can buy physically (not online) a G.Loomis:
IMX-980C-HSR GLO-1205
G-Loomis IMX-980C-HSR Salmon Steelhead Hot Shot Casting Rod ?

I want to put my hands on it before to pay.

I would try Gagnon Sports, Sail, JB's Fishing Depot or maybe Pro J's. There's also a great place in Hamilton. Check Loomis' website for dealers near you.  Even better, go to the fishing show as Shimano, distributor for G Loomis, will be there with a display booth!

Offline Thracus

• Yakmaster
  • Wavewalk S4
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Good article and indeed you open the Pandora box now.

Where I can buy physically (not online) a G.Loomis:
IMX-980C-HSR GLO-1205
G-Loomis IMX-980C-HSR Salmon Steelhead Hot Shot Casting Rod ?

I want to put my hands on it before to pay.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:46:31 PM by Thrac »

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Old Salt
  • Snagglefish, Weeddlefish, Oh Fish-On
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
Thinking of buying a 7' medium Ugly Stick again, kinda like a 30-06, not much good in anything specific, but does it all ! Na !  :)

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
Great follow up to that article Adam.

And yes Adam is right with my rod OCD.  ;D but I have found a line of rods that I like and by staying with that line I have a set of rods that all feel similar in the hand and allow me to tailor the selection to my specific needs.  This may be something that is important to you and it may not be.  But the key point is you have to get the rod in your hand to see if you like it.  Lots of choices out there for sure at many price points.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:27:15 PM by Rockin_Johny »

Offline Adam

• Administrator
  • Old Salt
  • Site Owner - Outback LE #280
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
This thread is the perfect excuse for why do you need so many rods. Use the golf analogy as to why a golfer doesn't carry around a bag of putters.

A good article to read. I particularly like the quote "Higher-end rod companies categorize rods with a number system to describe the power rating, usually one through five". Just so you know, the numbering scheme is not entirely consistent between manufacturers, such as G-Loomis, Megabass or Dobyns. As it pertains to Megabass, numbered weighting can even differ between their levels of their rods....and even then can be a little subjective. Best thing you can do is get the rod into your hands and see how it feels. A quick shake and you'll usually have an idea if you're on the right track. This was a lesson learned when I was ordering JDM rods from Japan. Got them out of the tube, a quick flick, and F me....that's not what I was expecting. Try before you buy!

When selecting a rod, this is the criteria I'll start looking at. 1) what type of tackle am I throwing, starting specifically the weight (not line weight), that will determine the power and the length of the rod. 2) match up the power of the rod with the action. Where I would differ from the article would be to move up an action level from what is being suggested, i.e. for a crankbait use a moderate selection, not a slow action. 3) make a list of the types of baits you generally throw, do your research and find multiple manufacturers (or one specific line of rods from the same company if you have OCD :D :D *cough*, Me and Rockin_Johny) and match their rod offerings with what you think might work. Then get to a tackle store and compare the feel of each. 4) purchase rod, try it out on the water and decide if it's what you like. If not, revise you list, go back to step 3 and repeat until happy. At last count my list was at version 18 before I was happy.

Over time you'll refine your taste in rods to compliment your techniques, just have patience, you'll rarely get it right the first time around.

One last suggestion, have a gander at the Tackletour website, http://tackletour.com/index.html and forum (you'll need to set up an account). A lot of great information in that community if you're looking to swap or upgrade your gear. ***Disclaimer*** I am not responsible for any frivolous spending once you start parousing their boards.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:24:18 PM by Adam »

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
     IMO Mike,    I don't rely much on rod-butt labels. They serve as kind of a general guide among rod choices.  the rod's feel in my hand are what makes or breaks the choice for me.    No rod will cast a one-quarter-ounce weight and a 1-ounce weight equally, there is always a sweet spot and that's what you need to find.   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:42:23 PM by wink »

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
Nice article.  I'm a little surprised the line and lure weight was completely ignored.  I find it's crucial to compare line / lure weight to dial in the exact power of a rod.  I find power to be too broad and vague unless looking at line and lure weight. 

I also think the action of a rod is important for the action of a presentation.  I.e. reeling a crankbait on a rod that bends like a 2x4 reduces the action compared to a rod with a nice moderate action that flexes with the wobble of the lure.

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
Selecting the right Fishing Rod
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
       With spring show season starting, many of us will be looking for new rods.  I came across this article that has a lot of excellent information on what you need to know and what to look for when your choosing the proper rod for your fishing style.   

https://www.fix.com/blog/selecting-the-right-fishing-rod/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:58:44 AM by wink »

yakfishing