yakfishing

Author Topic: Kaskazi Marlin  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
Re: Kaskazi Marlin
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »
Those S.African yaks are narrow enough to paddle with a single blade (i.e. canoe paddle).  With an inwater recovery (i.e. paddle, turn 90', slice forward, turn 90', rinse & repeat).  It's easy to get a 2.0-3.0mph rhythm going all day long without tiring out like you would with a full size yak double blade (1/2-1/3 the weight plus not lifting the paddle out of the paddle.  Plus you're not dripping water into your lap and it's super quiet.

I've paddled a Dorito with a single blade fine, but never tried a Marlin.  I'm looking forward to bumping into you and swapping boats for a bit :D

Dili, you have to teach me that technique. Believe or not, When I took it out first time on the water, I was thinking about the same - how would it handle with a single blade paddle. It seems like, it should be very easy.
Currently, I tried regular touring paddle and my winter project - Greenland paddle.
I was was very surprise how nice the greenland paddle paddles. It is so easy and effortless and meanwhile  the speed is not compromised neither.
You are very welcome to try Marlin out. I`m usually fishing around Port Credit area.

Look up YouTube vids on "Indian Stroke" or "Canadian Stroke".  In a solo canoe or narrower yak you don't need such an exaggerated wide C on the return, so instead of flipping the paddle 180' I just rotate with my hands and use the same face of the paddle on the power stroke.

I'm a die hard single blader, once you get the basics down you can start doing all sorts of funky strokes to move a boat anywhere you want.

I'm usually out of Bronte, 16 Mile or the Lift Bridge until later in the season when I'll go out of the Promenade or Cherry Beach more often.

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »
Those S.African yaks are narrow enough to paddle with a single blade (i.e. canoe paddle).  With an inwater recovery (i.e. paddle, turn 90', slice forward, turn 90', rinse & repeat).  It's easy to get a 2.0-3.0mph rhythm going all day long without tiring out like you would with a full size yak double blade (1/2-1/3 the weight plus not lifting the paddle out of the paddle.  Plus you're not dripping water into your lap and it's super quiet.

I've paddled a Dorito with a single blade fine, but never tried a Marlin.  I'm looking forward to bumping into you and swapping boats for a bit :D

Dili, you have to teach me that technique. Believe or not, When I took it out first time on the water, I was thinking about the same - how would it handle with a single blade paddle. It seems like, it should be very easy.
Currently, I tried regular touring paddle and my winter project - Greenland paddle.
I was was very surprise how nice the greenland paddle paddles. It is so easy and effortless and meanwhile  the speed is not compromised neither.
You are very welcome to try Marlin out. I`m usually fishing around Port Credit area.

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

Offline Thracus

• Yakmaster
  • Wavewalk S4
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Life is short. Live it.
Enjoy your kayak.
Nice toy.

Offline Mike B

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Yakmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »
nice boat!, I have the Dorado 2, but to be honest haven't used it see I got my outback, so it hangs in my garage. I used it for about 5 years though and loved it, so easy to paddle.

Offline Chris-Que-Yak

• Yakfisher
  • Paddle, Catch, Repeat
    • Que-Yak.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
That dear sir is a NICE kayak!

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
Kaskazi Marlin
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
Many kayak fishermen/fisherwomen move from paddling kayaks to the dark side (pedal kayaks). I decided to do an opposite (partial opposite) and move from pedal to paddle kayak.  However, I still will keep my Revo.
My criteria for a new kayak were following: must be light, easy to paddle, SOT and able to handle big lakes like Lake Ontario. 
After month and month of reading kayak reviews, the decision was made.  Kaskazi Marlin was the one that meets all criteria what I was looking for.
I had it out on Lake Ontario few time and I love it.
Even with my poor paddling techniques Marlin moves nicely. It is fast and really easy to paddle. Effortless cruising speed for me is around 6km/h. Max speed what I reached was over 11km/h but I could hold it just for few seconds. 
I was wondering how Marlin will handle trolling. I used my regular set up (leadcore and torpedo diver) and it was no issue.
It is a wet ride but I expected it. My Revo is wet ride as well so I have no issue with it. Good dry suit in the spring and a water proof shorts in summer solve this problem.

yakfishing