yakfishing

Author Topic: Stake out pole at Canadian tire  (Read 563 times)

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
Re: Stake out pole at Canadian tire
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
To put a spike on the end, buy a paint roller and use a angle grinder or Drexel to cut and sharpen the metal and screw on to your paint pole. I bought an extendable paint pole 8ft at dollarama for $3 and the roller for $2. $5 invested and 5 min time to cut and sharpen end. Works great.

Yakfisher

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
yakfishing

Offline YAKMAN ONT

• Yakfisher
  • Keep your line in the water. JK CUDA LT, JK KILROY
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
The Complete Paddler,,  Has the poles I think 8 feet long and around the $90.00 mark,

Offline Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
  • 57yr old enthusiastic newbie and proud Hobie owner
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
True enough !!!  I'm in Toronto

Offline elrik

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
Sorry a bit late responding. Where abouts do you live?  Wouldn't make sense to try to save $20 on a pole if it takes $20 in gas to get there :)

Offline Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
elrik,
 funny story; last weekend my neighbour had a yard sale and it looked like he had one or maybe 2 of these extended handle units out for sale. I'd already paid retail at Canadian Tire so I did not pay much attention.
If you are thinking of going this route I can ask him if he still has them, if so you'd likely get one for around $10.

Offline elrik

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Even with the added work of making a spike, it is a significant discount from the store options. I think I may try this path myself.

Nice results for Bellwood!

Offline Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
Hi elrik
    Yes , I've mainly used it on soft lake bottoms where it works great. So far I've not modified it but it looks like the threaded end is held by a pin or cross bolt. I think that could be removed and replaced by a spike of some type.
Yesterday I fished Belwood (2 pike and 2 pickerel!!  :D) and tried to use the pole on a rocky bottom without any luck.

Offline elrik

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
Can I ask what you use on the end to get it to dig into the ground, or have you only used it on soft bottoms?

Offline Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
Stake out pole at Canadian tire
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »
I searched here for ideas about stake out poles and found an older thread from a few years back so I wanted to share a good find I made the other night.

I'd been put off by the cost of 2 peice, 8ft poles but really wanted one for my first yak fishing trip on Weds. A trip to Canadian Tire on Tues night solved my problem!!

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/categories/paints-stains/paints-stains::paint-supplies-applicators/paints-stains::paint-supplies-applicators::extension-poles#0

I picked up the "fiberglass" model for $34.99.  I might have considered the longer one but they were out of stock at my local CTS. Turns out the top half is fiberglass and the bottom aluminum. It's super sturdy and the push button extention / collapse feature is really handy. I slid a section of pool noodle over the plastic handle (tight fit, lots of effort to get it on but it's not sliding off), and attached a leash to run through my anchor trolley. The one drawback for some might be the diameter, it's fairly thick and won't fit through the ring of my Hobie trolley. A short loop on my leash solved that issue for me.
Anyway, it's an option to consider.

yakfishing