yakfishing

Author Topic: nanofil line knots  (Read 470 times)

Offline MoneyMike

• Yakfisher
Re: nanofil line knots
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
moisten the knot before cinching tight

Yakfisher

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
yakfishing

Offline jediangler

• Old Salt
  • Native Watercraft Tegris12 Fish with the Force
    • Jediangler's Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
I have been using nano in light weights since it came on the market. I like 6lb for my ultra-light and 8lb for my light set up. I have used only the Palomar knot and have not had a problem.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
Can't get out fishing till Sunday.Going to test using Albright knot on a wacky rod. It's a knot I use often. The double Albright seems complicated. I'll try all your suggestions if it doesn't hold up. My usual leader knots are Albright, fg,or Willis for lead core.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Old Salt
  • Snagglefish, Weeddlefish, Oh Fish-On
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
Use the knots recommended on / in  the packaging, there's even a "Nanofil" knot I think ( double polamar ). I stopped using nanofil cause of knot issues. Guess don't want to learn a double Albright.  Also while talking about line, my fav. braid now is Daiwa J-Braid X8, coating lasts longer the PP.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:06:28 PM by EagleEyesFlash »

Offline evanxrs

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie Pro Angler 14
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
Double uni knot will work well.
Just make sure you make a few extra loops since the nano line is such a small diameter. Make sure you wet the line before you pull the knots together. The knot creates heat and if not wet it will weaken it.

Offline Topwater

• Junior Yakker
  • Hobie Outback (Zero Emission Fishin')
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Check out the Double Uni knot as well. This is what I use for all my Braid-to-Fluoro connections and I've had no issues.

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:25:27 AM »
I have had good luck with a triple surgeons knot, sometimes a 4x. I mostly quit using it because of the lack of knot strength. I still use it on my back-lake trout set-up for the extra casting distance I get: better for shore fishing sometimes.

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Coosa, Hobie Outback Woodstock, ON
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:43:59 AM »
I use a nail knot with the tying tool, you can do it in the dark, also great for snelling hooks, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc  Also never had trouble with a quad surgeons knot.  Lighter nanofil cast a mile :)

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
I'd never heard of a double Albright knot til your post, Peter. I've used the Albright myself, tied out on the patio at home, mainly to keep the knot from gathering weeds on the braid/leader knot, but it's not easy for me to tie out on the water (fat fingers & old eyes). This video shows the best way to tie the Albright, IMHO. I'm not really sure what the double Albright is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-sxOS0jck

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
nanofil line knots
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Spooled my new okuma spinning reel that I won as a draw prize at BCC with 12pound nanofil that I've had sitting around for about a year that I got in a clearance bin for $5. I've never used this kind of line before. What's a good leader knot? I tied an Albright with 10 pound floro and it seemed to clinch good. The recommended knot on the box was a double Albright, but it's not a knot I've used. Is this a knot I should learn?

yakfishing