yakfishing

Author Topic: Wilderness Systems kayak krate  (Read 320 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Wilderness Systems kayak krate
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
Have even started taking it into the lund with me as well as it is nice to have some stand up holders for my rods in easy reach so everything isn't always waiting to get stepped on.

I do this with my precision pak when I fish from the back of my friends bass boat. It's awesome to have everything you need right there with easy access to 3 rods without even leaving your seat. I just strap it down. Rods stay vertical even at 70+mph :D

I wonder how many fish you pass over top of in 5 minutes at 100 kph. (lol)

Yakfisher

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
Have even started taking it into the lund with me as well as it is nice to have some stand up holders for my rods in easy reach so everything isn't always waiting to get stepped on.

I do this with my precision pak when I fish from the back of my friends bass boat. It's awesome to have everything you need right there with easy access to 3 rods without even leaving your seat. I just strap it down. Rods stay vertical even at 70+mph :D

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
The precision pack really weighs a couple pounds(tops) but only good to wrap a milk crate with tie downs and pouches on the outside . No protection for rain or water to get inside. A pet peave with me. It is heavier but better than wet anyday. And tackle boxes unless for big items also a pain in the butt. The dollar store carry twist off and stackable containers that are great for quick retrieval of just one type of item say like jigheads or other items. Would stack even better in this new one and cases

I think you and Peter are talking about different versions of the Precision Pack, Joe. Like Peter's, mine is the complete cubical bag with a water resistant top. While it repels almost all rain, water in the tank well eventually soaks through into the bag so I just put appropriately sized Tupperware/Ziplock containers inside (no lids, of course) and that keeps the stuff dry from the bottom. While my Precision Pack isn't perfect (what is?) I'll continue on with it. While the W/S box looks great, at $160 when I already have something that works well, it seems pricey to me. I'll be interested to hear a field-test report after a dozen trips or so with it though, Elrik.

Offline elrik

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
Wild rock outfitters in Peterborough when I stopped in last week. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to pick one up as I was struggling with storage solutions for my pescador pro 10. Think it was $160 or so. Fits great even in the smaller tank well of the 10 footer. Love the clear easy access top storage and the main storage compartment. I have the pouches it comes with filled with soft plastics and I keep a couple planos underneath them. When transporting I toss a bunch of my other gear in it as well so I have less trips back and forth (hat, rod holder, fish finder etc) have had it out for a few trips now and left it out overnight in the rain, no sign of any water intrusion anywhere. Have even started taking it into the lund with me as well as it is nice to have some stand up holders for my rods in easy reach so everything isn't always waiting to get stepped on.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
I like my precision pak. but after 3 seasons of hard fishing, it is beat to hell. and things do get wet in it. I have modded the inside some to keep important things dry, but it still needs to be aired out after most outings. This pak looks like you could run it over with your truck and it would still be fine.

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
The precision pack really weighs a couple pounds(tops) but only good to wrap a milk crate with tie downs and pouches on the outside . No protection for rain or water to get inside. A pet peave with me. It is heavier but better than wet anyday. And tackle boxes unless for big items also a pain in the butt. The dollar store carry twist off and stackable containers that are great for quick retrieval of just one type of item say like jigheads or other items. Would stack even better in this new one and cases 

Offline Henricus

• Yakfisher
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Looks good but 11lbs strikes me as a bit heavy.  For comparison purposes has anybody ever weighed an empty precision pak? 

After having experimented with hard vs soft sided tackle boxes for musky, I ended up with a true appreciation of the shoulder strap.  Not unlike pedal power, the shoulder strap leaves your hands free to carry/do other things.

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
Yes i believe the same. Lid functional and keeps the water out, clean sides all the way down/ clean lines and looks great. i have the yak attack box and should have stayed with a milk crate and precision pack.  This crate will likely be the next buy.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
Wilderness Systems kayak krate
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/products/kayak-krate This is the best looking crate I've seen. Would it be wrong to have this mounted on my outback? Maybe I can put a Hobie sticker to cover the Wilderness System up :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:57:08 AM by Spyman48 »

yakfishing