yakfishing

Author Topic: Fish finder batteries  (Read 348 times)

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
Re: Fish finder batteries
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
Did you have the solar charger attached to the battery while you were paddling? If you waited til you stopped how long did you have to charge it for each day to get the charge up to max again?
I had it hooked up 24/7. Didn't have to worry about being robbed where I was. I used the fish finder sparingly, meaning if I stopped for lunch or if I was in shallow water for any length of time i would turn it off.
I don't think that it would have kept its charge if I only had it hooked up while paddling.
Ill have to test that some other time.

Yakfisher

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
yakfishing

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
Did you have the solar charger attached to the battery while you were paddling? If you waited til you stopped how long did you have to charge it for each day to get the charge up to max again?

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
Not the battery, where did you get the solar charger?
I dont remember I think CT. (I said folding but its not.)
here is the info
Sunforceproducts.com
item 50012
Output 0-18v  0-125ma
15v 1.8w
It's a coleman product.

Sealed Battery is a universal UB121801 www.upgi.com I think I paid $50 for it.

Forgot to add that I made a mistake on the fish finder its actually a 587 ci HD di
not a 385 I have no idea where I got that number. ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:29:13 AM by Michel »

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 10:36:25 PM »
I am using the 12V battery from my cordless drill. Very light and last long.

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Not the battery, where did you get the solar charger?

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
I have a hummingbird 385 ci di  and use a 12 v 18 ah and a folding solar charger.
Went on a one week fishing trip used it every day with no issues.
cheers

Where did you get it? Which make and model?
Got it at Total battery in Ottawa. it's a sealed battery about 3 years old cant remember the make will have to check when i get home. I think that the longevity was due to the solar charger. Will have to look at the specs. and report back.

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
Visited Sayal this morning and:
  • 12V, 8 AmpHour - $35 (apparently the 7 AH like mine has gone the way of the dodo bird - either that or the manufacturer is lying)
  • 12V, 12 AH - ~$50
  • 12V, 18 AH - ~$75
There are higher capacity ones as well (in AH) at considerably more money but they're physically larger too, more like car batteries.

Got a fitting to charge my cell phone from my yak battery for $4.95 + tax and a 4-20 volt battery tester for $12.95 + tax. Great place for electrical and electronic knick-knacks.

I may upgrade my fish finder over the winter so I'll wait till spring to see what power requirements I'll have in my yak if I do.

Just for the record, my Lowrance Elite 4 fish finder has a rated current drain of 200 mA so theoretically my 7 AH battery should power it for 35 hours. Notice I said "theoretically" because it definitely doesn't last that long. I don't know if the 200 mA is with the light on high or low or what else affects the time the full charge will last but maybe there's an electrical guru out there who does know.
I don't know where you're located but Radioworld has some 7ah batteries for about $25.  Might even be two for $40 or something.

I'll check them out.

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
I have a hummingbird 385 ci di  and use a 12 v 18 ah and a folding solar charger.
cheers

Where did you get it? Which make and model?

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
cheers

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
  • 12V, 8 AmpHour - $35 (apparently the 7 AH like mine has gone the way of the dodo bird - either that or the manufacturer is lying)
  • 12V, 12 AH - ~$50
  • 12V, 18 AH - ~$75
There are higher capacity ones as well (in AH) at considerably more money but they're physically larger too, more like car batteries.

Got a fitting to charge my cell phone from my yak battery for $4.95 + tax and a 4-20 volt battery tester for $12.95 + tax. Great place for electrical and electronic knick-knacks.

I may upgrade my fish finder over the winter so I'll wait till spring to see what power requirements I'll have in my yak if I do.

Just for the record, my Lowrance Elite 4 fish finder has a rated current drain of 200 mA so theoretically my 7 AH battery should power it for 35 hours. Notice I said "theoretically" because it definitely doesn't last that long. I don't know if the 200 mA is with the light on high or low or what else affects the time the full charge will last but maybe there's an electrical guru out there who does know.
I don't know where you're located but Radioworld has some 7ah batteries for about $25.  Might even be two for $40 or something. 

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »
Really?

Offline MoneyMike

• Yakfisher
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
try taking it to the source...they are able to rebuild old batteries often giving them extra life and for cheaper than buying a new battery

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
  • 12V, 12 AH - ~$50
  • 12V, 18 AH - ~$75

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
you can buy another 7ah battery for $20-25 and then run it and your other one in tandom, theoretically doubling your time

I have 3 but only use 1 at a time but RockinJohnny outlined how he runs 2 in tandom somewhere on here.

I'm told that will double the time but I velcro it inside the hull of my outback and would like to have only 1 battery. Good comment though.

Also, I've got my Lowrance ice fishing pack listed on Kijiji and I want to include the smaller battery with it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:09:10 PM by The Red Rocket »

Online The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
You can get the same battery in a 9 amp also.

Yeah, Wink. They go up by about 3 amp increments to about 18 I think but I'll find out for sure tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

yakfishing