yakfishing

Author Topic: Fish finder batteries  (Read 593 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Fish finder batteries
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
I wouldn't trade the teenage phone girl for anything. :o

Yakfisher

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
Don, if you really want to fix your issue with he battery, exchange the teenage girl phone for and Android unit  :D

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 06:18:13 PM »
My model of phone had a known defect with it's battery but I was just out of the extended warranty.  I noticed all of a sudden I was having terrible battery life - less then  1hrs from a full charge. Then a little googling lead me to the Accubattery app.

If you're happy with your battery life, then I would not worry about it. It takes a few charge and drain cycles to get a more accurate estimate of your battery health.  Do you remember how long your battery lasted when new?

The end of my Nexus 6p battery issue was paying 40 bucks to have a replacement new battery swapped in. Now the app is showing over 90% battery health.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
That's teriffic, Mike. How does an old warrior like you get to know so much about the high-tech world?  :)

The app tells me that the "Battery Wear Level" for my Iphone 5 is 36% and that I should replace it soon. The expected runtime while doing the usual sort of stuff is about 5 hours.

Of course, the cynic in me says that this app was developed by, and for the benefit of, a gang of battery manufacturers. I'll take it in to the Apple Store and find out next time I'm in the mall (not til after Christmas, hopefully - what a zoo!).

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »
Somewhat related..

I just asked Santa to put this in my stocking..

DEWALT DCB090 12V/20V MAX* USB Power Source

It slides onto your DeWalt battery packs and is a 2 port USB.  I have half a dozen batteries from 1.5 ah to 6.5 ah that I can use this on. Most cell phone batteries these days are about 3,000 milliamp hours (3ah?).

There is an app called Accubattery that tells you lots of information about the size and health of your cellphone battery.  I just had to replace a battery on my old Nexus 6p because the battery had reduced to 30% of it's initial capacity.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:50:46 PM by MikeM »

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Bioenno Power LI Batteries 15% off today.

BlackFriday2017 - discount code

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
I don't have a photo but it's identical to the cigarette lighter socket in your car and, in fact, it's the replacement part for that lighter. You just put spade connectors for the 12v battery on the wires and plug in the plug with a USB port out that you have for charging your phone in your car. Presto! And I tell you, it's simple to do. If I can do it anyone can, including your 5 year old.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
I bought a 12 volt, 12 amp/hour battery at Sayal in Vaughan for about $50. I allowed the charge on my Iphone 5 to completely discharge right down til it blacked out then, using the connector I also got at Sayal, I recharged the phone to 100% on the battery using the connector I also got at Sayal for $5. Took 3 hours and the 12 v battery discharged from 13.32 v down to 12.99 v during the 3 hours. You didn't ask but now you know.

that's pretty neat

can you post a pic of the connector?

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
I bought a 12 volt, 12 amp/hour battery at Sayal in Vaughan for about $50. I allowed the charge on my Iphone 5 to completely discharge right down til it blacked out then, using the connector I also got at Sayal, I recharged the phone to 100% on the battery using the connector I also got at Sayal for $5. Took 3 hours and the 12 v battery discharged from 13.32 v down to 12.99 v during the 3 hours. You didn't ask but now you know.

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
Did you have the solar charger attached to the battery while you were paddling? If you waited til you stopped how long did you have to charge it for each day to get the charge up to max again?
I had it hooked up 24/7. Didn't have to worry about being robbed where I was. I used the fish finder sparingly, meaning if I stopped for lunch or if I was in shallow water for any length of time i would turn it off.
I don't think that it would have kept its charge if I only had it hooked up while paddling.
Ill have to test that some other time.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
Did you have the solar charger attached to the battery while you were paddling? If you waited til you stopped how long did you have to charge it for each day to get the charge up to max again?

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
Not the battery, where did you get the solar charger?
I dont remember I think CT. (I said folding but its not.)
here is the info
Sunforceproducts.com
item 50012
Output 0-18v  0-125ma
15v 1.8w
It's a coleman product.

Sealed Battery is a universal UB121801 www.upgi.com I think I paid $50 for it.

Forgot to add that I made a mistake on the fish finder its actually a 587 ci HD di
not a 385 I have no idea where I got that number. ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:29:13 AM by Michel »

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 10:36:25 PM »
I am using the 12V battery from my cordless drill. Very light and last long.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Not the battery, where did you get the solar charger?

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
I have a hummingbird 385 ci di  and use a 12 v 18 ah and a folding solar charger.
Went on a one week fishing trip used it every day with no issues.
cheers

Where did you get it? Which make and model?
Got it at Total battery in Ottawa. it's a sealed battery about 3 years old cant remember the make will have to check when i get home. I think that the longevity was due to the solar charger. Will have to look at the specs. and report back.

yakfishing