yakfishing

Author Topic: ‘Tis the season...  (Read 785 times)

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
Re: ‘Tis the season...
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
If anyone is interested here’s a bit of a mid season update..

Boq = Went out in January and only caught perch
Lake of bays  = went out once, and caught a 5-7lbs laker
Rosseau = went out again, but not to Windermere caught a beauty probably about 15+ lbs maybe near 20.. pic below.

Got out to lake joe twice this weekend. Saturday was a mad house! Ive never seen it so busy. I think everyone was well aware there was plenty of ice plus free fishing. Seemed like everyone and their brother was out.  Saturday I got 2 - nothing over ~ 3lbs. I also went out Monday  which was nicer. Less busy and much warmer with only a little drizzle toward the end of the afternoon. Sunday i was able to get 5 - with the biggest just under 20 inches so probably about 3 lbs as well.

All fish went back in the hole asap.

Yakfisher

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
yakfishing

Offline fishbait

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team. Muskoka
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
1 place in port carling and several in Bracebridge shoot me an email when you know u will be in the area and Steve and I will meet up .....although I may be at the boat show ....Ice is still not ready iMO

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
Haha yea i must have just missed you.  That black pop up packed up as i setup.

I was surprised the ice was only about 5 or 6 “. I was expecting a lot more with this kind of cold.

Do you know of any places to stay that are open through the winter? Or any pubs etc.

I may try to join you guys in February.

Offline bornstar

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »
I live down the road from there. Took a drive to check it out New Years day probably around the same time you showed up and was surprised to see only 3 guys and one black hut out there. I would've thought it would be much busier. Plenty of small trout in that spot.

Evan and I are planning on fishing that spot hard Friday Feb 2/Feb 3rd if you or anyone else wants to joint up...just send me a PM.

How thick was the ice?

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
I made it out to Rosseau after all on New Years day.

I didn’t realize it until I came into glen orchard but I've been going to bait tackle and more for a few years now.  Its a great bait shop with lots of good ice fishing tackle and gear.  We chatted a little bit about you Gary. Thanks for mentioning it.

I got to Windermere just before 2pm.  There were a few groups on the lake but all three were heading in while i headed out. It was freezing cold but i had plenty of clothes and warm boots. One of those days when everything starts freezing in seconds whether its your hole, minnows, line and guides, hands etc.

I stayed out for 2 hrs and managed 3 small trout.  They all went back in the hole immediately. 

Windermere is a nice spot, very small town around the big guest house. Nothing seemed open for the season. 

Im going to try to get out again next weekend - probably Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.  I haven’t decided whether it’ll be dwight or boq yet..

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
Okay great thanks!

I might stop in tomorrow depends how i feel in the morning.

Offline fishbait

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team. Muskoka
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »
mike if ur coming up to rosseau and need live bait try Bait Tackle and More in Glenn orchard

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
Nevermind Monday it’ll be frigid.

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
Thanks Johny

Joseph is actually one of my favourite lakes to fish for lakers and yes it’s a fish sanctuary up to the Friday before family day.  Rosseau has the usual zone regulations and opens new years day.

I didn’t end up going today so I'm going to try to talk my wife into letting me go to Rosseau- windermere house on Monday.

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
Mike, check your dates for lakers up in muskoka. Pretty sure lakers don't open for ice fishing until Feb 15th up on Joseph and Rousseau.  At least that's what i remember from my ice fishing days

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »

Tomorrow the plan is to go to boq and walk out from county shores.  I’ve never ice fished boq so if anyone has any tips or better suggestions please let me know. 

pro tip: make sure your life insurance is paid up  :)

guys have been on the ice near the Norris Whitney (Bay) Bridge for a couple of weeks already now.  Even still, I'd go on quintefishing and ask for some input locally.

best of luck.  Stay warm!

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
‘Tis the season...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
..To check the expiry on your fishing license - fa la la la laa la la la la.

Also, I’m hoping to get out ice fishing a fair bit this year. I'm a walker and generally don’t bring the pop-up. 

Tomorrow the plan is to go to boq and walk out from county shores.  I’ve never ice fished boq so if anyone has any tips or better suggestions please let me know. 

After the new year I’ll start heading north for lake trout. Probably will try Rosseau first. I haven’t ice fished it before either. I might go over to lake of bays sometime too.  I probably will not try simcoe this year.

All in all with weather like this its gunna be a long ice fishing season.

yakfishing