yakfishing

Author Topic: Solunar tables - useful tool or snake oil?  (Read 956 times)

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
Re: Solunar tables - useful tool or snake oil?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Here a video..

Not groundbreaking and not focused on the tables and exact times etc.  But interesting take on how to consider overnight visibility regardless of how out you get iut fishing..

Yakfisher

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
yakfishing

Offline Michel

• Yakfisher
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
Well said Red Rocket I've gone fishing at all kinds of times and weather and have caught fish or not.
... and opinions go on!

But they can be self-validating too. If you believe that dawn and dusk are the best times to fish, and you mostly go out then, and you catch fish, then you're bound to believe that those are the best times to fish. The best solution is to get out fishing whenever you can, or whenever you want to, and enjoy it, no matter when it is.
[/quote]

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
... and opinions go on!

But they can be self-validating too. If you believe that dawn and dusk are the best times to fish, and you mostly go out then, and you catch fish, then you're bound to believe that those are the best times to fish. The best solution is to get out fishing whenever you can, or whenever you want to, and enjoy it, no matter when it is.

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Old Salt
  • Snagglefish, Weeddlefish, Oh Fish-On
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Here's a blurb by Muskie Hunter Joe Bucher.

http://www.muskyhunter.com/moon-secrets/

Moon rise and set times more important... Religion of the best of the best...

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
So here's what Dr. Bruce Tufts, eminent marine biology professor at Queens University has to say on this subject.

"... when I recently searched the scientific literature for evidence to support the influence of solunar cycles on animal behaviours, I was unable to find evidence that there was any link between these cycles and feeding activity in freshwater fish."

I guess that means the jury is back and the verdict is ... (drumroll) ... snake oil!

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
  I'm firmly in the camp that it's better to target trout in the full moon phases than Chinook.  The King bite just shuts down.

I've had some epic nights targetting bass at night during a full moon.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »
... if my wife says i can go thats when i will fish

Yes, Mike, I certainly get that! I doubt I'd make a "whether to go fishing or not" decision based on the tables but maybe if I could only go one of two days the tables might be considered in the decision making process. Right now the question mainly academic but if solunar stuff were proved valid that might change.

Offline MoneyMike

• Yakmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »
I am firmly in the camp of "I have 2 young children so even if the moon flashed you will catch no fish in morse code if my wife says i can go thats when i will fish" ...side while it would be pretty cool if the moon flashed that i dont know morse code so i would still miss it...  I do think there is something too it however I cant base when i go fishing or hunting on when the moon tells me it will be great...though when i worked at the bar we regulary had fights on full moon nights so i do think that soluanr tables do affect animals in different ways

Offline Bob McKenzie

• Yakfisher
  • Scott Canoe feather 11'-4"
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Bass definetly, i always find bass less aggressive on the morning bite on a full moon, the day bite also. I think both bass and walleye take advantage of the light to feed during the night hours.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
Presumably the lack of interest in this topic means that to all those who didn't respond (everyone except Brent) solunar tables fall in the snake oil category. Co-incidentally, the day after I started this thread someone started the same one on the Lake Simcoe Message Board. If you have any interest at all in what 33 members of that forum think about it you can check the posts out at http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/forums/index.php/topic,20187.msg151025.html#msg151025

Personally, I'm firmly in the camp of "I don't know.". However, salmon find their way back to the creek of their birth 3 or 4 years later using some as yet undiscovered methods of navigation probably involving scent, sun, moon, gravity, magnetism, etc. The arctic tern breeds each year north of the arctic circle then flies some 15,000 km to Antarctica for some unimaginable reason, again using similar input, and goes back again to the arctic in a never-ending annual, two-way migration.

So, in summary, why couldn't non-migratory fish like bass, perch, etc. be affected as well. Interesting .....

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
Check out this site - https://www.fishingreminder.com/

Offline EagleEyesFlash

• Old Salt
  • Snagglefish, Weeddlefish, Oh Fish-On
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »
Yup, moon one factor. Old school and always look at a paper calendar that has those fish symbols on it daily, and plan around "good" days,  Other factors are wind, temp and cloud cover. Stable weather a big factor too, along with if your partner is on a unicycle or not.
 :)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Solunar tables - useful tool or snake oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »
After a week in Mexico over Christmas and returning to these ridiculous sub-sub-sub freezing temperatures I'm basically staying in the house for a while. The dog waits patiently by the door for her usual bush walks but will only stay in the back yard long enough to pee and poop then it's back in front of the fireplace for a nap (for both of us, actually!), so that's it for the bush walks til it warms up a bit.

Anyhow, despite no longer ice fishing, I went to the first annual Canadian Ice Fishing Expo in Barrie a few weeks ago, mainly to hear the seminar speakers, which I always enjoy at all the shows. Two stood out for me: the first one from a guy named Gerry Heels who does complex Lowrance sonar/fishfinder installations on large boats; and second, Steve Rowbotham, who talked generally about ice fishing Simcoe. Steve's  main claim to fame (IMHO) is that this past fall he and his partner had a 30+ lb bass bag in the Lake Simcoe Open and DIDN'T win!.

Since I've used my Lowrance Elite 4x for about 6 years now and still didn't know how to set it up confidently I managed to corner Gerry 1-on-1 for a few minutes after his seminar and got the lowdown on how to set it up properly, so now I'm an expert (lol).

The most interesting part (to me, anyhow) of Steve's talk was how, over several years, he gradually came to use, trust, and finally depend on, solunar tables as a significant contributor to his fishing success. I've always just ignored those tables in the Ontario Out Of Doors magazine as being something a witch-doctor would promote but here, in the depths of winter, I've begun to wonder if I've been missing something.

So the question is, what do you guys think about solunar tables as a fishing tool? Fact or fiction? If nothing else it'll give you something to think about other than the Leafs going into their usual second half swoon (just kidding, won't happen this year ... will it?). Anyhow, your opinions, should you choose to share them, should be interesting.

yakfishing