yakfishing

Author Topic: fishfinder or Navionics app  (Read 388 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: fishfinder or Navionics app
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
Ah, I see.

Yakfisher

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Mtmouse

• Yakfisher
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »
Sorry that I don't quite get this but if you update the data on the app then update the chartplotter data from the app, why would you ever need a new card? Am I missing something?

In order to use plotter sync your Navionics app. and Navionics card must have current subscription.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
Sorry that I don't quite get this but if you update the data on the app then update the chartplotter data from the app, why would you ever need a new card? Am I missing something?

Offline Mtmouse

• Yakfisher
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
Won't be long before they'll be adding Garmin to that list, Tim.

So Tim, if you buy a chartplotter + Navionics "bundle", does that mean your updates from the Navionics app will always be the latest data and you'll never have to buy another Navionics card?

The app. subscription and the Navionics card are totally separate.

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »

So Tim, if you buy a chartplotter + Navionics "bundle", does that mean your updates from the Navionics app will always be the latest data and you'll never have to buy another Navionics card?

it just means you get the card included in the box with the FF, and once you activate it you get 1 year of most recent data.  After that year you'll have to pay again to update your maps. Not that you'd need to...but if you did.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »

Offline Mtmouse

• Yakfisher
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
Depends on what you are looking to do. The Navionics app. will help with where you are and where you are going and will give you a general idea what the depth and contours below should be, but as water flows, things can change.

If you purchase a chartplotter with a Navionics+ card you have the best of both worlds. You can tell depth, water temp., locate structure, mark waypoints, etc.

If you are looking to purchase a fishfinder, look for one bundled with the Navionics card to save some money.

Here are units that you purchase bundled with Navionics.
https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/navionics-plus/bundles

If you don't purchase as a bundle, if you purchase a unit and then purchase a Navionics Regions card within 30 days, you can get a $50 rebate.
https://www.navionics.com/usa/lp/rebate

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
All depend on your fishing what you what to do. If you fish small shallow lakes, rivers etc, I wouldn`t buy fish finder with GPS. If you do lot of trolling or fishing big lakes then yes - fish finder with GPS is definitely a big advantage.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
I'm the other way. In kayaks we cover so little water compared to motorboats that the portion of a map we cover is miniscule. I have a lifeproof case tethered to my pfd for my phone so I can't lose it and check it or a map when I feel I need to which is no more than maybe a half dozen times a day. That said, a chartplotter with navionics charts fed by the app is an enormously huge toy and isn't enjoyment what this sport is all about? Go for it! ;D

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
fishfinder with GPS all day

much easier than fiddling with your phone and hoping you don't drop it in the water.  Plus then you have sonar etc.  The navionics charts aren't always accurate.   In fact they're often off.

further, isn't your kayak a paddle kayak?  So you're going to have a fishing rod, a kayak paddle and a smartphone to deal with and you only have 2 hands.   

Offline thedrfish

• Newbie Yakker
fishfinder or Navionics app
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
Just bought a new Jackson kayak Big Rig and I am trying to decide, do I buy a fishfinder or can I just use the Navionics app for 9.99. What are you guys thoughts?

yakfishing