yakfishing

Author Topic: Help! Hobie kayak cart repair needed.  (Read 678 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Help! Hobie kayak cart repair needed.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
That's a really good price for that Ascend cart as long as the material is strong enough. On the plus side, the lateral wheelbase is wider than the Hobie cart which would make it more stable side to side, but on the negative side the upper crossbar looks to be higher than the Hobie cart which would make the kayak sit higher and be more unstable. Maybe they cancel each other out.

Yakfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
yakfishing

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
Thanks for that, John. It's all fixed now. My auto repair shop referred me to the shop that does a lot of the more complex welding for other auto shops in this area. He used tig, cost $20, and now I can go back to rigging my rods.

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
MIG (metal inert gas) and TIG (tungsten inert gas) are very much similar processes and can be used for the same applications.  MIG is fed by a continuous roll of metal filler wire while TIG use individual rods of filler metal.  MIG can be especially good for production runs with long continuous welds.  TIG is great for lighter grade metals as the power can be turned down to levels that will not 'blow' through the material.

So to answer your original question....Just buy a new cart  This will work fine for the outback
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-sit-on-top-kayak-cart

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
I'm not a welding guy Tim, is tig welding hotter than mig? I'm not sure I trust this guy I know to do it, he's more of a "just use a heavier hammer" type of mechanic.

Offline Mtmouse

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:10:08 AM »
I've welded a few up with my mig welder for Richard, Craig and a couple others.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Help! Hobie kayak cart repair needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
When I bought my first Hobie in 2010 or 11, a Quest, I got a balloon-tired cart to go with it that attaches by posts through the scupper holes. Well, after well over 300 uses (figuring 2x per outing), some over fairly rough portages, last year the welds securing one of the vertical posts to the axle broke allowing that joint to move. I certainly don't question the quality of the cart as it's has a lot of use. I continued to use the cart (carefully!) and can continue to do so this year as well (til it breaks catastrophically) but I'd like to get it fixed. The first thing I thought of was to get a guy I know who does a lot of Tig welding to do it but I'm concerned that it might be too hot for the thickness of the metal. I asked the guy and he said maybe it would work but also I might be right as well and the cart could be ruined completely. I think I could probably get a specialty welding shop to do it but it would likely be expensive and at some point it would probably be better economically to just buy a new cart for $200 or so, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. I thought as well of expoxy but I suspect the twisting of the cart through use would be too much for it. The bottom line is, I do need a cart! Any welding (or other) experts out there? Anybody else run into this problem.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:00:43 AM by The Red Rocket »

yakfishing