yakfishing

Author Topic: Back Lake/TRAVEL Kayak  (Read 538 times)

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
Re: Back Lake/TRAVEL Kayak
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Yep Don my brother lives for adventure like myself but prefers not much fishing and lightest gear possible when going. We took his Alpaca and my Hobie Sportman down a huge chuck of Grand river last year and both even though totally different type of crafts handle the rapids and shallow spot about the same and zero abrasions. And blowing up his no problem

Yakfisher

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
yakfishing

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/cargo-series-2017/   Not cheap but the lightest for get aways. One of my bros have one,13 pounds and super tough

Now there's an inflatable boat, although you may have to win the lottery to buy one for casual use! (lol) Pretty affordable if you were going to use it a lot though.

It's interesting for me to see they're manufactured with only one air chamber and they say that this is for safety since if there are two chambers and one is punctured the raft isn't able to be paddled anyhow. That hadn't occurred to me. These boats have certainly been subjected to real world testing.

Sure would take a lot of huffing and puffing to blow it up if you lost the pump.

Good find, Joe. Lots of alternatives out there if a guy keeps his eyes open.

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 06:01:06 AM »
https://www.alpackaraft.com/rafting/cargo-series-2017/   Not cheap but the lightest for get aways. One of my bros have one,13 pounds and super tough

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
pretty interesting.  Why'd the make it so banana-y?

would be nice and light for those camping trips.  Wonder what it packs up into.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:50:23 PM by Unchained »

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
Took my Outback into Frotenac park once camping with one 375meter portage. Never again.

Offline dwc67

• Yakmaster
  • Karma....it's only a bitch if you are
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »
i do not have an opinion on inflatable yaks but i dragged my plastic kayak over beaver dams, rocks and logs .  i went into a few hike in / yak in lakes last summer with my slayer.

i do have an opinion on carts.

do not buy hollow axle carts they do not hold up, bounce over a few deadfalls and they start to fail. i built a solid axle cart that uses mountain bike tires that handled everything and the ground clearance is great.

backpack your heavier gear

i took Scardinius advice and hammock camped

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Are we talking about the same boat, Peter? Here's a link to the Intex website http://www.intexcorp.com/68307ep.html

Dips (forum member) found an inflatable online last year that was more expensive but lighter than this one. I don't think he bought it but it was the same concept. Anyhow, if a guy was going to do a lot of that back lake fishing he'd have to find something a lot more suitable than an Outback if he wanted to get out on the water and an inflatable would certainly be worth looking at.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:12:11 AM »
I believe it has 5 separate air chambers and is 31pounds. There's lots of videos on youtube. People even take it in whitewater!

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
Just for interest sake I checked the Intex website and there's no mention of there being more than one flotation chamber in this yak which I think would be mentioned if it has more than one. If not, one hook puncture and down you go. I suspect that this is more of a beach toy than a backwoods fishing solution. It's 40 lb as well which is pretty hefty for lugging through the bush along with your other gear. Good catch though Peter. You could get Colleen to carry it for you.  :o

Even the small U-boat I used to have for fly fishing had multiple flotation chambers. Can't remember for sure but I think there were 3.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
    • Kayakwars Catches
Back Lake/TRAVEL Kayak
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:32:10 PM »
Back Lake or flight Kayak? 31 pounds. Could be pretty awesome for hike in spots, or that trip to Mexico. Pretty good sale price($118.99), well reviewed. They do have 2 other cheaper models as well, $75 and $100.Just passing on the deal. I don't own this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=pd_sim_468_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HVK9HYJD9T9M40ZHE7ZG
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:50:43 PM by Spyman48 »

yakfishing