yakfishing

Author Topic: Bow Mount Trolling Motor  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Steelhead Chaser

• Yakfisher
  • Slammin Salmon every weekend
Re: Bow Mount Trolling Motor
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:02:12 AM »
I just put a 24V bow mount 70lb trust Minn Kota I Pilot Power drive on my Hobie PA14. I primarily troll for salmon and trout on the great lakes. Reason for this is I had another trolling motor on the back. Too many times a salmon would come up, see the yak, then shoot into the prop for a quick cut off and gone. Also turned too quick on a cross current a couple times and had the downrigger cable get caught in the prop.

On the old 12V I had I would kill 2 batteries in about 7hrs. 108amp/hr battery would last 4 hrs. the 70amp/hr would last about 2-3 hrs... giving me 7hrs trolling total. I took the same to batteries and hooked them together to make 24V. I ran from the same 7hrs I would normally then headed back to the boat launch. When I checked the battery life after my 7 hrs I still hade 75% left!!! I could have stayed out there all day with this new motor. I trolled on setting 5 (2.5MPH) solid. Turns on a dime but be careful when going fast, a hard 90 degree turn dam near threw me off the yak lol.

Yakfisher

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:02:12 AM »
yakfishing

Offline bobby

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I've since done research and there is actually quite a few people who have a bow mounted TM on their Frontier. Might be expensive though as mentioned, and isn't allowed in most tournaments. Well I'm a young guy anyways so I should be able to paddle for a while haha!

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
I have that exact pursuit as pictured. (Edit: er that model and colour but without the electric motor)

The frontier is a beast - very wide.  I can see how an electric motor would be tempting.  I agreed with letterman, depending on the model you could be spending more on the motor than on the kayak!

To me, the fact that a kayak has very little draft I would feel awkward with a bow mounted motor that is what 3 or 4 feet long? I donít know much about it but would you try to customize it so its shaft is shorter?

Maybe play around with an older stern mounted emotor for a bit before taking the leap to permanently mount a bow one?   You could get a handle extension and depending on the year of your kayak you may have a 360 seat, right?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:50:55 PM by MikeM »

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
easier/cheaper to buy a good used hands free sit down kayak like a Hobie with Mirage drive or the other 3 or 4 pedal powered options

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
Looks legit.  Just add your deep cycle in the back and pray you don't turtle  :P

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »
I don't know bobby, it's a 12' plastic boat and a trolling motor on the front is gonna throw off the way it tracks. A bow mount has a rather large mounting bracket, I dont think the bow of a nucanoe will accomodate it, plus a power supply, that can be alot of extra weight.  The rear looks more suited for an electric.  Not trying to discourage you, and the nucanoes are nice but they aren't designed to accomodate what u want to do with it.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline bobby

• Newbie Yakker
Bow Mount Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
Hey everyone, I just purchased a Nucanoe Frontier 12! Can't wait to get on the water.

For the future I was thinking about potentially putting a bow mounted trolling motor on it. Wasn't sure if anyone has experience with this or any tips. I would love to hear about it if you have anything to share, thanks!

yakfishing