yakfishing

Author Topic: 2019 OKBT Schedule  (Read 368 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: 2019 OKBT Schedule
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:22:01 PM »
Looks like some workday trades coming up, Peter.

Yakfisher

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:22:01 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
Sad to see the BCC go. For me the draw was it was a 2 day event, Rich did an awesome job with lots of prizes and swag, and being a Hobie Worlds qualifier was pretty neat as well. It's nearly a 6 hr drive for me. A little too far for a one day event(for me anyways). I'm glad OKBT is filling the void and I'm sure it will still be an excellent well run tournament. As for the rest of the events in the series, I'm scheduled to work for them. I'm hoping to be able to attend at least one of them, but it's really hard for me to get a weekend off in the summer. I get every other weekend off. Just got unlucky with the dates :'(

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »
 ;D

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
So, simply put, the annual BCC changes it's name to OKBT, and Rich starts a new tournament that will be part of the Hobie Bass Open Series aimed primarily at the more serious tournament kayak anglers. The only difference for the BCC enthusiasts is that: a) it's Saturday only, and, b) the winner doesn't qualify for the Hobie worlds. Works for me!

I hate to see the BCC name disappear so from now on I'll be calling it the OKBT Border City Classic - the Border City Classic for short (surprise!). The rest of you can call it what you want. (lol)

Pretty much Don except the OKBT event is not being run by Rich it is being run by the OKBT and it is part of the 4 event trail series that will count toward AOY as well.  But basically it is on the same weekend and on the same Great Lake so all the guys that have grown accustomed to fishing that weekend on st Clair can continue to do so.  and hopefully we can provide all the same amenities for the anglers as well.

But you can call it whatever you want as long as you come and enjoy yourself
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:07:57 PM by Rockin_Johny »

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
So, simply put, the annual BCC changes it's name to OKBT, and Rich starts a new tournament that will be part of the Hobie Bass Open Series aimed primarily at the more serious tournament kayak anglers. The only difference for the BCC enthusiasts is that: a) it's Saturday only, and, b) the winner doesn't qualify for the Hobie worlds. Works for me!

I hate to see the BCC name disappear so from now on I'll be calling it the OKBT Border City Classic - the Border City Classic for short (surprise!). The rest of you can call it what you want. (lol)

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »
Ok guys, so the speculations can be put to rest, here is An update released by Rich Ofner regarding the status of the BCC

The Future Of The Border City Classic

BORDER CITY CLASSIC·FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2018

We started the BCC back in 2011 to provide an event in Southwestern Ontario that will attract new kayak anglers to the sport.  The first couple years we provided kayaks on behalf of Pelee Wings for people that wanted to fish the event and did not have a kayak.   

In 2014 the BCC became a Hobie Worlds Qualifier when Kyle Moxon became the first BCC representative to participate in the Hobie Fishing Worlds.  He represented very well finishing 2nd in the Netherlands at the 4th Hobie Fishing World Championships.

In 2015 the last year of our one day format we had approximately 130 Anglers attempt to fish in gale force winds and through three accumulative inches of rain.

The format was changed in 2016 to a two day event.

The  Recreation Division was added in 2017 with 10 registering added to 88 in the competitive

In 2018 for the first time there was more American registration than Canadian. 

It has been a pleasure putting together the BCC each of the last eight years, seeing it grow from 27 anglers the first year to what it has become today.  There are no regrets to any of the changes over the years and for 2019 the opportunity arose to have the BCC become part of a larger Elite Series that will be hosted in Michigan on Lake St. Clair, June 29th and 30th.  That left the regular opening weekend for zone 19 Bass Season in Ontario, June 22nd.  The Ontario Kayak Bass Trail will hold an event on that day hosted out of the Riverside Sportsmen Club.  This will give options for all former BCC participants to choose to do either the one day OKBT event, two day Hobie BOS event the following weekend,  or both.  After a successful inaugural year of the OKBT, it was an obvious choice to take up the void of a Windsor hosted event on LSC. 

It will be safe to assume that the Hobie BOS Open LSC Event on June 29th, and 30th will;

Include fishing  in both American and Canadian water

allow three hours to report in Michigan from lines out of water

top American and Canadian Angler will qualify for the Hobie Worlds.

With the sport of kayak fishing growing at the rate it is and the amount of events that are available to both the recreation and competitive tournament angler, I feel that these changes are beneficial to continue to grow the sport and cater to all levels of experience.

More details to follow in coming months for both the Hobie Bass Open Series and the Ontario Kayak Bass Trail events on Lake St. Clair .

I would like to thank Hobie for their continued support of the BCC for the past six years, and commitment to continue an elite event on LSC, all the anglers that have helped to make the  event successful and to my wife Julie, who has provided not only her moral support but helping with judging, registration, and going out and taking the awesome pictures of each of the BCC events, both on the water and off.  Please take the time to look over the Photo Libraries on the BCC Facebook Page.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/BorderCityClassic/photos/?tab=albums

Sincerely

Richard Ofner

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
So you agree, he has not always had the event opening weekend.  That was my point.  It has been other weekends in the past.  Could do it again.  Be nice, two events two weekends in a row in the same area.  Be nice to have a friend come visit for a week and fish both events.

You may just get your wish Stefan

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 01:30:50 AM »
Yes, I agree.

Offline De-tension

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
So you agree, he has not always had the event opening weekend.  That was my point.  It has been other weekends in the past.  Could do it again.  Be nice, two events two weekends in a row in the same area.  Be nice to have a friend come visit for a week and fish both events. 

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
Stephan, I think you may be thinking of the first few that were held on the Canada Day weekend before Rich switched the BCC to opening day.

Offline De-tension

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »
There have been times in the past when Rich has run BCC on the 5th saturday when there are 5 saturdays in June. 

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »
Isn't June 22nd the date of the BCC? Zone 16 bass opener - the 4th Saturday in June.

Offline Rockin_Johny

• Yakmaster
  • Hobie PA14
2019 OKBT Schedule
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
The 2019 OKBT tournament schedule is set
June 22nd – Lake St. Clair
July 20th – Stoney & Lovesick Lakes
August 17th – Seymour Lake
September 14th – Balsam Lake

2019 will see a return to two of the lakes from last year, but at a different time in the season, as well as two new lakes in the Kawarthas

As an addition to the tournament trail series this year, OKBT will also be holding month-long Online Challenge events, with a twist, in August, September and October.

For the 2019 season an Angler of the Year award will be presented to the most consistent angler throughout the 4 trail events. And Big Bass will also be an optional side pot at each event for any angler that wants to participate.

All details for the events, AOY, Big Bass and anything else will be posted as they are finalized.

Start planning early and get ready for an amazing summer with OKBT

yakfishing