yakfishing

Author Topic: Panama kayak adventure  (Read 766 times)

Offline chaos

• Yakfisher
Re: Panama kayak adventure
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »
I am really  interested if it will happen in Nov/Dec 2020.

Offline dwc67

• Yakmaster
  • Karma....it's only a bitch if you are
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »
As of now targeting middle of December 2020.  That could still change once I get further into planning.
i would be into that
i couldnt do 2019 but it would be a great 2020 christmas present

i will get you my contact info

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »
Two years in advance! You're definitely a planner, Rich.

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:02:14 PM »
As of now targeting middle of December 2020.  That could still change once I get further into planning.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Google maps shows those two lodges to be only about 30 km or so apart. So, Rich, you're not going on your trip until late 2020, almost two years from now, correct?

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:53 AM »
Just seeing this post now.  I am in for 2020, looks like end of November/December is the time to go.  I already mentioned to Dave and Karen.  I am looking at the Los Buzos location though.  I have already talked to Adam Fisk the manager of Los Buzos.  Pretty sure Craig Wright is interested also.

Offline Scotty

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
Thanks guys, it really was a one-of-a-kind experience. Though hopefully, not a once-in-a-lifetime.  :)

The lodge is only open during the dry season, roughly mid-December to April. So probably by early summer I'll be thinking seriously about booking another trip for winter 2019/20, and hopefully recruiting a few anglers to give it a try, as well.

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Coosa, Hobie Outback Woodstock, ON
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
It is on our bucket list as well!  I've watched every video I can find on Kayak fishing Panama.  Congrats on a great trip Scotty!

Offline De-tension

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »
That is definitely on my bucket list.  I have fished Panama before, but would love to do the kayak adventure. Congrats on a trip of a lifetime.  If they book in the summer, I would love to go, otherwise I have to wait til I retire.  Hey Rich, Doug, you up for a trip like this?  What about Dave and Karen, Jeff, Tim, and the rest of the group, man we could go and fill up the lodge. Thats where we need to do a tourny. LOL

Offline Scotty

• Yakfisher
Panama kayak adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »
As a few of you know, I recently got back from a kayak fishing trip to Panama's wild Pacific Coast. I stayed at the Tembladera Fishing Lodge, which is waaaay off the beaten path -- an hour by panga (open boat) from the nearest road. Panama, BTW, is safe and stable, and welcoming of gringos. I've travelled a fair bit in Central America, and it was as pleasant as anywhere I've been.

And the overall experience was simply amazing--large, powerful and interesting fish, against an ocean-jungle backdrop. We caught roosterfish, yellowfin tuna, dorado (aka mahi, aka dolphinfish), pompano, jack crevalles, cubera and other snappers, trevally and other wackier stuff, too.

But it was also incredibly hard work. Pedalling those Outbacks in current, swell and wind, and chucking giant lures in the heat (not to mention trolling 5 lb live baits) really takes it out of you. All four of us in my group were just broken after the first day; but we were hard men by day 4. (Unbelievably, I came home 10 pounds lighter!)

Here's a photo report by the lodge on our week: https://panamakayakadventure.com/catch-reports/opening-week-of-the-201819-season.

The learning curve was also pretty steep, which is why I'm 100% going back again next year. I learned SO much, that if I don't go, all this knowledge will go to waste  :).

And an early heads-up, if anyone else is potentially interested in joining this trip, let me know. Now that I've done it (and made my mistakes with gear, techniques, etc.) I've got the REAL dope on what it's all about. Or even if you just have Qs, don't hesitate.

I've got more photos to post, too, once I figure out how...

yakfishing