yakfishing

Author Topic: Mirage Drive Maintenance  (Read 533 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Mirage Drive Maintenance
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
Me neither and mine's a 2009 or 10. All I've ever done is straighten the front mast a couple of times and tighten the drive cables a bit when they start to squeak. I'd be careful about lubricating it cause the oil or grease would capture any sand or dirt it came in contact with and possibly get in the drive mechanism. Check with Fogh first, I'd say.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
Re: Mirage Drive Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
I've never taken mine apart. 2015. Maybe I should.

Offline Adam

• Administrator
  • Old Salt
  • Site Owner - Outback LE #280
Mirage Drive Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
I recently picked up a 180 drive conversion kit for my 2016 Mirage drive as I had some leftover credits with Fogh Marine. The parts required were:

81527002 – MD180 Spine Assembly
81501112 – MD180 Turbo Fin Mast/Boom Kit

The swap was quite easy, assuming you’ve fiddled with your Mirage drive in the past. Overall, it took me about an hour and a half to swap over. The most time consuming part was the cleaning and reassembly of all the drum and idler pulley roller bearings.

I was quite surprised as to how little lubrication remained in the drum bearings. I could see some excess grease on the outside, but when you remove the drums off the shaft, there was hardly anything inside.  So a tip to everyone who may have the “Glide” bearing Mirage drive, if you haven’t pulled them apart to perform regular maintenance, you may want to undertake that as a winter project to minimize future wear.

yakfishing