yakfishing

Author Topic: your "go to" reel  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Slowride

• Yakmaster
Re: your "go to" reel
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
My best reel is also the cheapest.  I picked it up at BPS on the reconditioned shelf, for less than $20.  XPS spinning reel sitting on a 7 ft XPS rod.  Even got a discount on the rod due to it having the previous year logo and paint scheme.  I left BPS feeling like a bandit.  I usually carry three setups when I go fish.  I'll pick and choose from the Quantam's, Shimano's, and Diawa's but the XPS makes every trip.

nomad

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »
For spinning reels it was "hand me down" Mitchells until I was close to my teens and it's been Shimano ever since, so really have nothing to compare.  Bought the Stradic 3000(still works) when they first hit the market and have bought nothing else since.  The drag on the Stradic really shines when you get into rank fish over 15lbs.
It depends on what you fish for.

Offline toonascott

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »
I need to find a support group for people addicted to buying tackle. I have or have owned many different brands and models of reels and have only found a few duds. My goto reels for fishing freshwater are Shimano Stradic, Sustain and Sahara. My kids have beat on my Sahara 2500's and 4000's and they still work excellent. The Shimano stuff is nice to work on and I take them apart to clean and relube regularly, never have issues with the bolt and screw holes becoming work out or stripped.

Offline brianw

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »
I have 2 Okuma reels and like them a lot, better than my Shimano. Our local dealer likes Okuma as well, very warranty friendly company. Don' know about parts availability, haven't needed any.

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
  • Personal Trainer for Fish
    • YakDreams Kayak Fishing Den
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
I'm still looking for one to replace my old Shakespeare from 20 years ago that finally died on me a couple seasons ago. It's the only Shakespeare I've owned that wasn't junk.

I've collected 3 of the Mitchel 300xe series, two 300xe and one 308xe. It doesn't seem to matter how much I clean and lube them they always have sticky bails and one of them the lock nut under the spool doesn't want to stay locked so every once in a while I have to snug it up. Otherwise they have been good.

The Okuma 10 bearing all metal spinning reel I got at OKFS last year is a nice real with one exception, it has a 'bug' the line always get's jammed in the edge of the bail guide. It's light, super smooth, and the drag is awesome. I should probably see if I can't get that replaced before it's too late.

My big reel is a Shimano Sahara 4000 and although it's heavy and doesn't have the greatest capacity, it's rock solid and the drag is so smooth it's silly.  I probably should have grabbed a smaller one at the BP sale, they were one of the feature items....  it wasn't in the budget this spring so I didn't even consider it.

I'm going to be doing more fishing with a bait caster this year. I've only taken my first reel out once but liking my starter reel, a BP Rick Clunn. Chucked it for over an hour and it was very easy to dial in, it felt very natural. Time will tell but for around $100 I think it's good value in a BC and has good potential.

Neil

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
I am a Quantum guy too.  I Have 2 accurist and 1 PT tour edition baitcasters. Great reels, but now I'm close to pulling the trigger on the new Okuma Serreno ;D.

Wink

Offline Dieter

• Yakmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
I am a Quantum man, have a Energy PTiA 20 and love it, I have used my friends Shimano Stradic and will take the Quantum any day. On Wednesday I picked up a Quantum Catalyst PTiB 30 and can't wait to use it. It is the magnetic bail trip that I love.

Offline pure

• Yakfisher
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
Shimano Citica has never let me down its been through thunder and lightning and looking at buying a new one

Offline mac

• Yakfisher
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
I`m kind of a reel junky,  I think I read too many reponts on the new stuff comming out.  I guess my go to reel is the Stratic from Shimano.  My first reel was a Mitchell 300 which I still have, I also have a Mitchel 408 I picked it up in Germany, Its an ultra lite very well made.  I have a Quantum Incyte, which is a smooth med priced reel. My latest is the Pfluger Arbor,  just  purchased this week... had it out and it`s a winner.
I have a couple of decent mid priced baitcasters as well. I have 4 ice fishing reels all are accucast by Hi-Tech.  Now about the RODS.. always need more.
Cheers  mac sends VVV

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
I find the Quantum stuff surprisingly decent for cost. Although, watch out for ones sold by Wallyworld. Check the packaging and look for "made for Walmart". There is a reason why they are able to sell for so much cheaper.
    As for Pflueger president...I have 1 also and do like it, allot

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »
Being a junk fisherman, I don't rely on just one reel.  I'm most happy chucking anything made by Quantum to be honest.  Even their lower end stuff is pretty reliable.

Offline k4l3

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »
I luv Mitchell 300 reels had the original for years until last summer at nomad smallie event when it broken on me while reeling in a 12" smallie. Taking it apart at home found out the plastic gear chip that held the turning screw broke.  
What I like about the reel is there large spool and well built at least the outside >:(

For spinning reels only been buying Pflueger reels since getting my first Pflueger president reel 2 years ago, I now have 7 Pfueger spinning all in different sizes for ice fishing to muskie. Will be probably be adding the new Pfueger arbor wider spool reel this year. There reels are well made, a lot of ball bearing, paint hold up well, still look like new after abuse by me, spare spool aluminum not plastic that other company gives, plus they are great looking. Also love wood knobs on reels ;D
http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/home.html
I have 5x Pflueger president&presidentXT bass/pike/muskie "presidentXT also a salt water reel, be prefect for Jbay"  in very sizes and 2x Pflueger trion gx7 ultr-lite reels for ice fishing

Baitcaster have only purchase and used Abu low profile but been wanting to get abu 6500.

I also have couple Okuma baitrunner reels for carp fishing and also use for trolling, good reel but the outside body paint wear out fast with being lay down on concrete at the shore.

So I think my go to reel are Pfleuger reels, also a great deal compare to Shimano stradic
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:45:18 AM by k4l3 »

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
your "go to" reel
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
I've spent allot of money over theyears on reels finding that 1 or 2 that offer up everything I expect in a reel.
  Just wondering how you folks have made out in your quest.
    I actually ended up with a cheap reel as my go to reel. The Mitchell 300 XE. At less than $60 it offers up most of what I want at an affordable price.
    Has a silky smooth drag and not so much gearing that you can stil feel the fish as you reel.
   My only complaint is a noticable backlash when setting the hook.
   I got a super deal on a bunch of these with missing handles. $8 each so I have spare parts for the next 30 years.
   I also have the larger frame 308 model and really like it too although it suffers from the same backlash problem.
   I would easily put these inexpensive reels up against my Shimano stradic at 3X the cost

yakfishing