yakfishing

Author Topic: Floating Plastic Fish Grips  (Read 3349 times)

Offline ELLIS

• Yakfisher
Re: Floating Plastic Fish Grips
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
Hey Slowride,  give

Yakfisher

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
yakfishing

Offline ELLIS

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
Another point in favour of the grips not mentioned so far and something I really like ….. The part of the grip, on most of the metal grips, that actually touches the fish is only the width of the narrow jaws.  Good chance of causing tears in the skin of the lower jaw.  With the plastic grips, the part that touches the fish is a pad measuring 14mm by 7mm hence reducing the chance of causing a tear.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:21:41 PM by ELLIS »

Offline ELLIS

• Yakfisher
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
You are right about Jenda Paddlesports, they have at least a couple in stock right now.

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
Thanks for the review Ellis.  Hobie markets these under their own badge and I picked a pair up to use this season (albeit sparingly).  They do work as advertised but I find them a touch awkward to use since I'm used to using a boga style pull and release style gripper.  I wouldn't recommend using them on musky or any other fragile sport fish that likes to spin when p!ssed off boatside.  They don't swivel so they'd inflict mucho damage.  They are a great product for the price.  Jenda Paddlesports carries them, price is $14.95 I believe but I'd have to check.

Offline ELLIS

• Yakfisher
Floating Plastic Fish Grips
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
I just started Kayaking fishing and wanted a lip gripper for pike.  I do not like the look of the Rapala’s, and had a Berkley that jammed over and over again a couple of months after buy it (ended up chucking it).  I wanted something else but in Ottawa those are basically ones options unless going to mail order.  What I hate about mail order are the huge shipping charges.  If getting something “exotic” from the States, duties and brokerage fees could end up being part of the purchase as well.

I found “The fish Grip” and I am sure many of you have already discovered them.  For those who haven’t check out

http://www.nortonbrassrattler.com/Product_Fish_Grip.htm

Here is their description of the plastic grips:
* Over center locking - grip to lock, flip to open (like vise-grips)
* Unique jaw design - holds the lip of the fish
* Durable materials - plastic and stainless steel
* High viz color (orange, glow–in-the-dark-white, lime green, pink, blue) - easy to see, day or night
* Weight scale slot - attach to scale, deduct 5 oz.
* Wrist lanyard - in case it slips
* IT FLOATS
* 10 inches long
* Price $14.95

I read a number of reviews and it seemed to be a decent product.  Will it land a trophy muskie, I do not know but this type of fish is something that I am not targeting….for now.  

I decided that I would give this product a try.  I contacted Norton Brass Rattlers in Mississippi and they immediately gave me a Canadian distributor to contact.  The guy’s name is Barrie Welch and he lives in Keene Ontario.  I contacted him Wednesday evening of last week and I had the grips that Friday morning from Canada Post.  Can’t beat that!  The Grips cost me $14.95 and $8.00 in stamps.

Went out yesterday to give the grips a test run.  My first fish was a pike somewhere between 2 ½ and 3 feet long.  The grips performed as advertised.  Next was a nice smallie and I couldn’t bring myself to use grips on it.  Lastly I landed a baby pike less that a foot long.  No grips for him either.  By the way the grips do float.  I dropped them over board just to see what would happen.

If anyone is interested in plastic grips through a Canadian source, I have Barrie’s email address as well as his home phone and cell numbers.  PM me if you would like any of those.
Cheers,

Bill
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:22:06 AM by ELLIS »

yakfishing