yakfishing

Author Topic: Weight loss yaking/canoeing and Endomondo.com  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
  • Native Ultimate 14.5/ Jackson Big Rig /T100
Re: Weight loss yaking/canoeing and Endomondo.com
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 08:46:34 PM »
Yep thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers

Derek

Yakfisher

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 08:46:34 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Slowride

• Yakmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
I realize the post is about the ap but hopefully you are discussing any exercise you are doing or plan to with your doctor.  Start off slow and build up.  Stretching is a must even before walking. Forcing yourself to stick to a sensible diet and exercise plan is going to be tough, set your goals in stages that you feel you can achieve and raise the bar with each accomplishment.  Good luck

Offline smallmouth

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »
  cross country skiing is not mutch impac..but great cardio

rowing is great to

but walking is simple and very effective if you get the right sped and heart beat to get the good cardio.

joco.

As a former phys. ed teacher I can tell you that cross country skiing and swimming are considered the two very best exercises.

God Bless,
Don

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
GPS reciever to the best of my knowledge (may be off on this)  Like I said the accuracy was bang on during the walk or the paddle, it was this strange calculation after the fact of fastest speed.  Otherwise its accuracy is top notch.  It even caught my struggles with the head wind if you zoomed in all the way on the map.  Its accuracy even captures that I am not on the road but on the side walk.  Heck took the dog for a walk last night and can pin point on the speed graph where he stopped for a sniff vs a dump.

Cheers

Derek

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
do crackberries have an actual gps receiver or do they use the cell towers? That would be the reason for inaccuracy if they use the towers

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »
They probably want you to pay for the app to get the correct speed. They always hold something back making you want to buy it.

L

I did not see any indication of this being anything other then a free app.  Might just be a gps glitch.  In real time the speed seemed accurate, it was just when you finish your workout that the Fastest Time was way off.

Cheers

Derek

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
Sorry guys I realize tht my weight loss took the focus of the thread, but I really wanted to hear what people thought of the endomondo.com website and mobile app.

Do you see any practical uses for charting your yaking routes?  Once I get my yak I will not have enought o purchase a FF combo right away so this is what I would use.  Not a fish finder by any stretch but it would allow you to track your courses over time.  One thing I have noticed.  So far that is.  The max speed calculation is WAAAAAYYYY off.  The benefit to the social networking aspect is that you can add freinds to your endomondo account and people can see the routes you take in your yaking adventures.  Okay maybe a bit lame but I'm a nerd like that

I appreciate all the weight loss support and will work hard to meet my goal.  Looking forward to being able to hit the water with you guys when I get my yak.  (In what seems a to be a lifetime away)  Oh the other aspect is you can set up challenges where you compete with other yakkers and try and best their sprint times, and other types of stuff.  Okay maybe I'm way too nerdy about techy stuff but this is cool.   Anyone agree???

Let me know what you think of the site.  Checked out the mobile phone compatibility, careful if you do not subscribe to data plans you will get rocked in phone fees.

Cheers

Derek

Offline LJC

• Yakfisher
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
They probably want you to pay for the app to get the correct speed. They always hold something back making you want to buy it.

L

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:17:30 PM »
  cross country skiing is not mutch impac..but great cardio

rowing is great to

but walking is simple and very effective if you get the right sped and heart beat to get the good cardio.

joco.

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
I can't return to jogging I blew my knee out and had reconstruction surgery. Running is way too much impact

Cheers

Derek

Offline smallmouth

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
whether it be through yaking or walking.

Both are excellent! By the way walking fast is a lot better than jogging. The extra aerobic benefit of jogging is at the risk of knee and joint problems from the pounding your body takes while jogging.

God Bless,
Don

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
Not sure why the top speed is making those errors noticed it on my walks which had me walking 12 km\hour. Either way thought I'd give it a try and I challenge all comers to increase their healthy living whether it be through yaking or walking.

Cheers and good luck

Offline smallmouth

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
Not sure the speed is accurate :o

Cheers

Derek

It's not Derek! Good luck with your physical efforts. I had bypass surgery 10 years ago and yakfishing .float tube flyfishing and rowing my pontoon boat along with sensible eating keeps me going just fine. At 64 I can still pretty well hold my own with the younger guys. I even survived the hike down and out of Niagara Gorge last year accompanied by Nomad. I just had to resist the temptation to match him step for step as mentally I am still the same age as him but you do have to reign yourself in a bit win you reach "elder" status.
God bless you in your commitment to get and keep healthy. You will be a good role model for your girls.

God Bless,
Don

P.S. 8 kph in a kayak is moving pretty well so 17mph is totally impossible especially in a canoe.

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
Did it say mph or kph.  Either way there is no way I went that fast :o :o :o
Have not had time to really tinker with the site.  Folding clothes before I try the power walk feature.

Cheers

Derek

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »
Not sure the speed is accurate :o

Cheers

Derek

yakfishing