yakfishing

Author Topic: Shimano Caenan 100/101  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
Re: Shimano Caenan 100/101
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
I have now fished this reel heavily and cannot come up with a single complaint other than my own lack of skills with a baitcaster.
   Even as far as that goes the Caenan is very forgiving.
   I severely abuse my gear and seldom do any maintenance until winter. It has held up well. Shows some rash on the paint but that just adds character. Allows me to tell lies about monster fish.
   I highly recommend this reel and can so far find no reason what so ever to spend more on a reel.

Yakfisher

Re: Shimano Caenan 100/101
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
Shimano Caenan 100/101
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
Member Name: Bellybuster
Year of Release: unknown
Item Name: Shimano Caenan 100/101 baitcaster
Manufacturer: Shimano
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Caenan.html
Price: MSRP $100 give or take a few

In my quest to find the best reel for me I recently purchased a shiny new Caenan 101 (l/h) made by Shimano. I was talked down from a much higher priced reel by a Shimano rep. His feeling was that for the way I use a reel for damned near every method of fishing, this would be the best fit for me.

This reel is lower profile than most so is very easy to palm. It has good looks, (seems to be important) and good all around feel.
   6.5:1 Retrieve (27" of line per crank) is good all around speed for multi method fishing.
   6 Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings makes it a smooth runner
   The reel has a composite frame. Some feel that a metal frame is better but even the higher line of Shimano reels have the composite frame.
   One of the coolest features has got to be the easy access side plate. A quick turn on a little lever and the spool is out. Time will tell if this is actually a negative instead of a positive.
   Shimano use the VBS (variable breaking system) instead of magnets. This is a system using small weights and centrifugal forces. Taken from the Shimano web site ( The individual brake weights, when turned on, are forced outward at the beginning of the cast when backlashes most often occur, causing friction that reduces the speed of the spool. Once the spool speed begins to slow, the pressure lessens, allowing the spool to continue spinning. The result is a much more consistent spool speed that is easier to manage and takes advantage of the reel's maximum casting distance. Settings range from zero weights turned on for true freespool and up to 6 weights turned on for extremely windy conditions and maximum cast control.)
We shall see if this is an effective system
   I figure if it's good enuff for dave mercer, it's good enuff for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deXpbaMpgVw
   I haven't had the chance to cast it yet but will update my review when I do

PROS:
   Price, I picked mine up for $83
   has a 1/8 Turn Easy Access Attached Sideplate, allowing you to remove the spool without tools in seconds for those nasty birdnests (never happens to me ???)
   smaller profile than most reels

CONS:
   Only has a max of 10lbs of drag, I obviously need more for the monster fish I catch  ;D
   I think the reel should come with spare break weights
   Shimano still does not include any lube with new reels, a common complaint.

yakfishing