yakfishing

Author Topic: Morning Rant  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
Re: Morning Rant
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
I cap out at $100 a reel. I don't believe for a second that the increase in performance of the $300 jobby is worth $200.
   I also don't think my $100 reel is worth even half of what I paid.
   ishing is taking off again like wild fire and the prices follow trends and fads. Look at the whole center pin cult. These guys spend a grand or more on single outfits.
   Craaazy man Craaaaaazy

Yakfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Duke 2.0

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »

Who is buying these products? and where does it all end, titanium housings and diamond bearings.  C'mon folks, is this where the sport is going?

Hobie Owners :P :P :P :P

It is amazing what people will spend on their hobbies no matter of their fishing ability, but there is a difference in the performance of a more expensive reel.   No matter what the cost they do all catch fish ;D 

Really, I'm not spending that on a reel.  Aren't you the cow puncher that's looking at buying ceramic bearings?  Those Quantum ones wear out already :P :P :P

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »

Who is buying these products? and where does it all end, titanium housings and diamond bearings.  C'mon folks, is this where the sport is going?

Hobie Owners :P :P :P :P

It is amazing what people will spend on their hobbies no matter of their fishing ability, but there is a difference in the performance of a more expensive reel.   No matter what the cost they do all catch fish ;D 

Offline Laurentian

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »

Yep, I agree, wonder m'self who buys those $3-400 + rods & reels.. ???

My first guess would be that they target the BIG tourney pro fishers who

make a lot of money but haven't reached the 'sponsered level'...  ::)

But you shouldn't let it get to you Doug, just click back to 'generic

pages' and make your list for Santa... ;D

Offline Duke 2.0

• Old Salt
Morning Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Okay, so I log onto Cabela's this morning and see a section for 2012 previews.  I open the page and stare at the 44 items listed.  Being in the market for a baitcaster I peruse the page and WTF :o :o :o.

Now, the last time I checked the world is in an economic downturn.  Greece and Italy are on the ropes and the Euro is poised to fail.  Although the Occupy Wall Street movement has turned into a minor annoyance to the big banks, unemployment is reaching an all time high (if not there already).  I make great money, but through a government austerity package, my salary is capped at 1.5 %.  And a heck of a lot more people are doing with less than that.

Okay, now back on topic, The new baitcasters started at $199 for a new Shimano Chronarch and topped off at a Diawa T3 for $429, which of course comes with HyperSpeed (heck, at that price it should come with a weekend fly in to the Queen Charlotte Lodge).  Too bad I don't have HyperSpeed on my paycheck.  And when did anything from Diawa become worth that kind of money (sorry if I stepped on some toes there). They are selling line that must have been spun from mermaid's hair, considering the cost.

Who is buying these products? and where does it all end, titanium housings and diamond bearings.  C'mon folks, is this where the sport is going?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:04:22 PM by duke57 »

yakfishing