yakfishing

Author Topic: River Fishing  (Read 2555 times)

chezmoose

Re: River Fishing
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
You nailed it Chez, I used to operate a small sign shop outta my place... all that stuff is PC based  ;D  I wouldn't know how to turn a Mac on.  You work with that sorta thing by chance?

I'm a graphic designer at a printing co., so occasionally exchange files with sign companies and screenprinters. They all prefer Corel for some reason...   ::)  ;D

Yakfisher

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
Ah, that tells me you're probably a sign man or screen printer.  ;D
I'm an Adobe fan and a Mac user  8)

You nailed it Chez, I used to operate a small sign shop outta my place... all that stuff is PC based  ;D  I wouldn't know how to turn a Mac on.  You work with that sorta thing by chance?

chezmoose

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
Hi Chez

I'm very leery of using an anchor in moving water. Usually, I don't bring one. If I need to stay in one place, I'll paddle part-way up on a shoal or flat rock. In slow water, just backing into weeds can hold you. In still or very slow water, I use a small, plastic-coated dumbell as an anchor. It's smooth and unlikely to snag, and if you have to cut it loose, you're only out a couple of bucks.

The dumbbell is a great idea! (for still water, of course)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:30:11 AM by chezmoose »

chezmoose

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
CorelDRAW actually... Ford VS. Chevy thing I guess... not a big fan of Adobe...

Ah, that tells me you're probably a sign man or screen printer.  ;D
I'm an Adobe fan and a Mac user  8)

Offline sparky

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
Hi Chez

I'm very leery of using an anchor in moving water. Usually, I don't bring one. If I need to stay in one place, I'll paddle part-way up on a shoal or flat rock. In slow water, just backing into weeds can hold you. In still or very slow water, I use a small, plastic-coated dumbell as an anchor. It's smooth and unlikely to snag, and if you have to cut it loose, you're only out a couple of bucks.

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »
CorelDRAW actually... Ford VS. Chevy thing I guess... not a big fan of Adobe...

chezmoose

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
I see what you mean. Our rivers aren't real fast, but yeah, I see where you could get in trouble if you couldn't let go quickly.

Don, nice 'sketch'!  ;D Illustrator?

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »
hi chezmoose..... :)

its not recomend to use and hancor in current for safety reason.

but in a lot off place you can get in some spots where the current is not that strong. and mabe use a hanker systems or a pole dig in the bottom.

some hanker are more safe then others in curents...but none off them is 100% safe.

but its a good question. ;)

joco.

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
This is what I mean.  Of course, tying off definitely wouldn't be advisable in even a moderate current as you chance swamping your Pungo.  Not fun  ;D

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
If you have an anchor system rigged up you could simply find a way to lodge your anchor in the crotch of some branches.  I use a 1.5lb anchor so it'd fit just about anywhere. 

If you don't already have an anchor troller setup, maybe attaching a length of rope to a pad eye or cleat on your boat and the other end to the tree branches via caribeaner (tied back onto the main line into a slip noose).  Easy clip on, clip off sort of deal.

Hope this isn't too confusing a description, I'll make a quick sketch of what I mean.

Don

chezmoose

River Fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
Does anyone have any innovative ways to tie off to brush or trees while river fishing? We haven't actually tried fishing on moving water yet but would like to figure out a way to tie off before you float over the hole or run you want to fish.

yakfishing