yakfishing

Author Topic: Your thoughts on board privacy?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
Re: Your thoughts on board privacy?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
All "private" means is that someone has to register to see whatever they want. Unless Don is doing something most other boards aren't, then anyone with an email address can register and have access to all the "private" boards. After using them 15 years, I treat boards like this as fully public.

That's right SD.  There're no boards that are truly private besides the Armada boards (will be adding those who've bought a package when I get home next weekend).  Like anywhere else online, you join and you've got access.  I monitor daily logins and there are really very few non-active members who just spin by regularly and don't post.  And most of those folks I already know from other boards or are buddies of mine who keep tabs on the going-ons in the sport but aren't kayak anglers themselves.

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »
All "private" means is that someone has to register to see whatever they want. Unless Don is doing something most other boards aren't, then anyone with an email address can register and have access to all the "private" boards. After using them 15 years, I treat boards like this as fully public.

Offline Duke 2.0

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »

if some are realy scare about the safety on the net better close your computer now and unplug it hahah...nothing is that safe now these days in here

Worked in the US for a while with an FBI whiz kid that was previously with Microsoft and now works for the "Agency".  If you connect in any way shape or form to the internet, your computer is an open book, thanks partly to COINTELPRO  :o.  Facebook on the other hand really has no privacy settings for anyone with a little knowledge and background in the field.

On the lighter side, I don't think the governments of the day are interested in our best fishing holes, and who cares where we launch? we aren't giving up GPS coords for each fish we catch.  Next time you are out there keep your eyes to the sky for black helicopters  8) 8) 8)

Gotta go now, picking up more canned goods and bottled water for the bunker ;D

Offline GHBayYak

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Yakmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
Make hook ups, reports, entry photos 'armada' threads. Anyone that wants to view those needs to support the site. That's what I would do.

Offline Rand the Impaler

• Yakfisher
  • Leave nothing behind except sore lips
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
Re: classifieds, If it`s just a Kijiji post then no worries...everybody see`s those. If a registered member posts a for sale item, it gives us registered members first crack at the item instead of Joe Public. Just my 2 cents.

Offline jediangler

• Old Salt
  • Native Watercraft Tegris12 Fish with the Force
    • Jediangler's Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
I thought that Hook-ups were already private too. Glad that they are now.

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »

gogu392

i dont care about real name....we never say the full name anyway..so it those worth nothing.

marco or joco..those not do nothing for any companies.

if some are realy scare about the safety on the net better close your computer now and unplug it hahah...nothing is that safe now these days in here

facebook is the killer....a guy at work got a day '''no pay''' call sick and then post on facebook about going water slide wit the kids and picts.... ::)..he took it off to late...the boss is a friend off is on facebook ...smart a$$  hahahahah.....it would be the same as caling sick and post a report in here....hahah
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:30:53 PM by joco »

Offline Thracus

• Yakmaster
  • Wavewalk S4
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
I vote for private Hook-Ups and Reports too.
Also please do not call people by real name, use the alias.
If you want to call some body with his real name use the PM.
I did work in the past for company that get data from internet and sell it for big bucks.
My suggestion is to stay away from publishin your real name, address and phone on internet.
Only banks (more or less) and government can qualify to colect that data about yourself.
Even those pricks can lose your data in wrong hands.
There is no much privacy on internet now but we should not expose us there bare naked.
Safe padling and internet browsing.

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Hookups are now private.

Offline Flyfisher

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • John 3:16
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
Will not post again in hook ups, when someone wants to go fishing pm me!

Jeremy

Offline Dips

• Old Salt
  • James - Hobie Outback/ Sundolphin Aruba 12SS
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
Another vote for reports and hookups being private.

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Why classifieds exactly?

Offline Rand the Impaler

• Yakfisher
  • Leave nothing behind except sore lips
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
Yup I agree with you guys hookups, reports and along with Dilli's suggestion of classifieds as well.

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
Private hookup's...my girlfriend will be suspicious if she reads that.
I vote for private hook ups.

Wait until salmon season, when I don't leave the house until midnight on a Friday and don't come home until Saturday afternoon, looking haggard, bruised, and smelling of rank fish.  Has been an issue with some g/f's   :-[

I used to be a big supporter of open boards...in 1995.  Now not so much, seen too much damage done by low hanging fruit internet fisherman.
  BTW --  Even closed boards are open from the blog homepage, you don't need to be logged in to see the last half dozen posts.  Wasn't sure if you about that backdoor.

Hookups, reports & even classifieds should be private.

Offline Yakster

• Yakmaster
  • Jackson Cuda 14. Hobie PA 14
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Private hookup's...my girlfriend will be suspicious if she reads that.
I vote for private hook ups.

yakfishing