yakfishing

Author Topic: Hobie Outback Downrigger and dual Rod Holder mount  (Read 21593 times)

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
  • Personal Trainer for Fish
    • YakDreams Kayak Fishing Den
Re: Hobie Outback Downrigger and dual Rod Holder mount
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
Glad I could help :)

This one is still my favorite accessory.

Offline Spyman48

• Yakmaster
  • Click on Globe icon below to see my Kayak Wars.
    • Kayakwars Catches
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the fun,functional project Neil. Was the perfect day to consume a 6 pack and build this. Now all I need is a downrigger. Can't wait to test it out!

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
Starting to see open water in the lake so I started adding some new rigging, modifying my anchor systems, re-spooling some reels after 4 years and organizing the garage. 

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Coosa, Hobie Outback Woodstock, ON
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Funny you mentioned coming out of hibernation, I finally took the yaks down and glued the rodholders together.  Have the downriggers now as well.  Hopefully can get out and chase some browns in the coming weeks, this cabin fever is getting expensive :P
Dave

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
  • Personal Trainer for Fish
    • YakDreams Kayak Fishing Den
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »
Sorry, coming out of hibernation :) 

You will not regret building something like this, I love the thing, best mod yet.

I may have an extra rod holder kicking around, believe it or not I scored mine from Crappy Tire. I'm procrastinating digging into my 'packed away' fishing stuff. Some vermin got into the garage over the winter and did a nasty job on our loaded milk crates, I'm still dreading that it might have chewed into the yaks, but not likely since they are mounted on the walls. I'm afraid of what else I'm going to find.

The 1.25" stuff is plentiful at my Home Hardware building centre however much more pricey than the 1.5" stuff.

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
I've been following this thread since I have a Scotty Laketroller but I just put the rod vertically (well, angled back a bit) in the stock Hobie Outback rod holder beside my knee. Why don't you just use one of the rod holders in your new yak, Dave? Make work project? Getting a little cabin fever are we ...  ;D

Just didn't like the angle when I had the rod in there the other day, and thinking of sticking the fishfinder in there ;).  I picked up everything for Karen's at Home Hardware, they had all the parts.

I nominate Dave to work on the sh.i.tters 'round here!

I think I might run the left over pipe out the side of the tent

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
I've been following this thread since I have a Scotty Laketroller but I just put the rod vertically (well, angled back a bit) in the stock Hobie Outback rod holder beside my knee. Why don't you just use one of the rod holders in your new yak, Dave? Make work project? Getting a little cabin fever are we ...  ;D

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
Yes hard to find that size pipe and fittings . I will pick up some on usa side of border and try and make a couple racks to try out. Just make sure the crate and other stuff fits properly in back before glueing up. I also like the scotty mount no holes drilled.

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
Re: Hobie Outback Downrigger and dual Rod Holder mount (The anNEILhilator)
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »
I appreciate the two of you having a look.  Unfortunately I have already peeled the labels off the parts.  I ended up going to Home Depot, Home Hardware and Canadian Tire to get all the parts.  This is the parts list but it might not be the proper names :P

Length of 1.5" ABS
Length of 1.25" ABS
1.5" T fitting - 1
22.5 degree junction - 2
1.5" x 1.5" x 1.25" T fitting - 2
1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" Y fitting - 2
ABS cement - 1
Scotty #444 round flush mount - 1 (looking on the website, pretty sure it's the 444 with the nylon nut to tighten onto the T)
I also blew up Yakdreams picture to full screen then took a picture of that with me to the store on my camera, made shopping easier. Fun to be doing a little rigging
Dave

I nominate Dave to work on the sh.i.tters 'round here!

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
Canadian tire had the 1.25" but not the fittings for it :D

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
Wow Dave it looks like your going into the plumbing business lol. Lucky u found the 1.25 pipe because it is hard to find.

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • Kayak Wars catches
Re: Hobie Outback Downrigger and dual Rod Holder mount (The anNEILhilator)
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
I appreciate the two of you having a look.  Unfortunately I have already peeled the labels off the parts.  I ended up going to Home Depot, Home Hardware and Canadian Tire to get all the parts.  This is the parts list but it might not be the proper names :P

Length of 1.5" ABS
Length of 1.25" ABS
1.5" T fitting - 1
22.5 degree junction - 2
1.5" x 1.5" x 1.25" T fitting - 2
1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" Y fitting - 2
ABS cement - 1
Scotty #444 round flush mount - 1 (looking on the website, pretty sure it's the 444 with the nylon nut to tighten onto the T)
I also blew up Yakdreams picture to full screen then took a picture of that with me to the store on my camera, made shopping easier. Fun to be doing a little rigging
Dave

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:51:35 AM by Dave »

Offline fishbait

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team. Muskoka
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »
dave I think I have one let me dig in the garage tomorrow   wink and I were talking today and if you have a parts list for that mount it would be great if you could list the parts meaning the plumbing name s and how many of each as it really is a great rod mount for any trolling or down rigging application

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
    I will look in my bag of goodies tomorrow Dave.   I may be able to help you out.
Will let you know.

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
I got most of the parts cut, just need to take some final measurements ( then probably start over :o)  Thanks for the info on the holder fishbait and wink.  If anyone wants to part with a Scotty No. 344 Round Flush Deck Mount  or Scotty downrigger let me know
Dave

yakfishing