yakfishing

Author Topic: Spinning gear vs baitcasters  (Read 5476 times)

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
Re: Spinning gear vs baitcasters
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
Re my comment on the baitcaster... It could be user error, but I find in the kayak, since you are so close to the water it is hard to flip it a very short distance and not have it unspool on you.  You don't have that issue with a spinning reel.  I also find it much easier to do an underhand flip with the spinning combo since you don't have to worry about thumbing the spool.

I have no problems flipping or casting short distances with the baitcaster, it's much more easier that with a spinning setup.     I feel it all comes down to how the reel is adjusted and more importantly the type and lenght of rod you are using, hence the reason why some of us carry a bunch of rods.   I think that most guy that get frustrated with the baitcaster don't have it paired up with a rod that matches the bait they are tossing.  They tend to blame the reel for poor casting distance and they start to adjust the reel for more distance only to have it birds nest on them. They don't realize that its the rods fault, this is were spinning setups are much more forgiving.    The only time I use a spinning reel is for my slip float setup.   

Yakfisher

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
yakfishing

Offline jmoser

• Yakfisher
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
Re my comment on the baitcaster... It could be user error, but I find in the kayak, since you are so close to the water it is hard to flip it a very short distance and not have it unspool on you.  You don't have that issue with a spinning reel.  I also find it much easier to do an underhand flip with the spinning combo since you don't have to worry about thumbing the spool.

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
I grew up with spinning gear (South Florida salt water, then Michigan big water walleye).  I like baitcasters when you have to do a lot of casting or the lure is heavy, but they suck for casting short or flipping from a kayak. 

I am curious to know why you think a baitcaster "sucks" for casting short, or flipping....I think that is one of their strengths.

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »
I will make a note that Jimmy D:

1) Considers "fishing" as playing with overgrown sunfish.
2)  Has never tried using his bass gear on real fish.

"Power" has different meanings for different fishermen.  If Jimmy D ever grows out of his long adolescence and wants to know what "power" is from a fish, and the next fish, and that fish, and this fish, and holy crap that last fish...

He can bring his sponsored biggest & brightest Shimano crap.  Good luck.

Offline jmoser

• Yakfisher
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
I grew up with spinning gear (South Florida salt water, then Michigan big water walleye).  I like baitcasters when you have to do a lot of casting or the lure is heavy, but they suck for casting short or flipping from a kayak.  I keep a spinning combo rigged for that purpose.

I am definitely not up on new spinning reels, but I think (correct me if I am wrong) they have much higher return ratios... that is less cranks to pull in more line.  Again, it really helps when you are doing tons of spot casting and don't really care about the last 40 feet to the boat.

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
good advice on the $100 mark, been there done that.
    I am a huge fan of the $100 Shimano Caenan. I've been abusing mine for 2 years now and it still going strong.
    Fishbait and I both bought a Bass Pro branded reel for $100 and it has been great too although I'd go the Caenan route again any day.
    I'm not a big believer in spending more than that on a reel, I dont see the value in it. I've tried the Curado's and can't see or feel enough difference to justify the price diff.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Good grief!! Sounds too complicated to me. Time I could better spend in a lounger beside Le Chateau Red Rocket sipping a wobbly pop. Maybe Santa will be good!

Offline Jimmy D

• Yakfisher
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
looks easy on video. lol
nothin to it.
ive tried that before a few times
doesn't always work.

ya,  i'd be happy to let ya use one for a while or more

couple suggestions if you do run out and buy 1, or santa brings ya one..... whatever brand it is...try spend $100 or more. anything less just isn't worth the hassle and frustration (imo.)
most cheap baitcasters seem to not work very well. (aka junk.)

and be sure to have someone show you how to properly set it up.
also....try not to cast into the wind, cast lite lures, or cast too hard... til you get used to it.
start with some pitching off the back porch.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
i find it easier and less time consuming to remove a loop or 2 from the spool then undoing backlashes. i freakin hate that.

keep your scissors handy.

Check this out. Baitcaster How To: Trick For Clearing Backlashes

Jimmy, I may take you up on the "try out" offer next summer.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I may get a bc just for the fun of trying one but I've never really felt at a disadvantage by not having one. My disadvantage is between my ears!  ;D

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:13 PM »
I find froggin with a spinning reel near impossible

Offline Jimmy D

• Yakfisher
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
hey Red... the reason most tourney guys use baitcasters.... is "POWER".
When throwing big baits or spinnerbaits with a lot of water resistance, or trying to horse a monster from deep in the weeds...A baitcasting reel is the ticket.
The gearing allows you to turn the handle easier with a lot less effort, therefor making it more efficient. Go out next time and tie on a spinnerbait on both types of reels and try it out. you will see the difference very easily.
& before (modern) braided lines became popular (12-15yrs ago) most tourney guys ran baitcasters, cuz its hard to fish with line heavier then 14lbs on a spinning reel.
Anyone who has tried 17 XT on a spinnin reel knows exactly what i mean.
Nowadays you can fish 30pd. power pro on a 2500 size reel. no prob

As far as the accuracy,consistancy, and confidence goes, i'm 10 x better with my spinnin reels. I use them for almost all situations on tourny days. (except dunkin heavy crap and tossing froggies way back in the rhubarb, and also throwing spinrbaits.) Some guys run nothing but bcasters.

And as belly says, it can be tricky using stickbaits and topwater spooks etc where you have loose line allot of the time. but, i find it easier and less time consuming to remove a loop or 2 from the spool then undoing backlashes. i freakin hate that.

with a bit of practise, pitchin weighted baits from a kayak is not all that difficult. learnin how to skip lures with one....very frustrating.

keep your scissors handy.

& if you would like, i would be happy to let you try 1 of my core, calais, or chronarch bc reels at the next okfs events i'm at.... i'll give you a few pointers to avoid those dirty knots, and i'm pretty sure you will like it allot after using it for a while.

good luck
jim

Offline Flyfisher

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • John 3:16
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
Use a fly reel, biggest and simplest drag, very smooth  :P :P :P
Cast with pinpoint accuracy,even under tree's!

Sorry had to say that, I use both and think both have there place. Both have amazing drag systems compared to the old ones we learned on, that's why a lot of us learned to back reel even on low end baitcasters!
I can use both baitcasting and spinning just as accuratly, pitch with both! If you take the time and practice you can pitch from a sitting position, nice thing is you can get closer with the lower profile you create!
I think more important than comparing baitcasting to spinning is just learn to use the equipment that is yours! Mentioning brands is just a waste of time, they all make great products with all the advancements in technology!
Good fishin!
Jeremy

Offline singingdog

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
For pinpoint accuracy it is tough to beat a baitcaster. A spinning reel can be "feathered" to give just as much accuracy, but it is much more difficult to learn and execute, especially on rapid-fire casts. I find that the accuracy of a baitcaster is vastly reduced while sitting down....one reason I don't do it much. Baitcasters also excel when chucking-and-reeling presentations like crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

I also prefer trolling with a bc reel: much easier to let line out accurately and smoothly.

Open water fishing where distance with lighter baits makes a difference, I will take a spinning reel every time. If I had to choose just one, it would definitely be a spinning reel......until I learn to skip with a bc reel.

Offline Thracus

• Yakmaster
  • Wavewalk S4
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:48:47 PM »
My first reels where spinning. Till I discover the baicast.
Now I have only baitcast even for light setup. I love the control of the line with the thumb. There is no way to do that with a spin reel. Plus the drag can be set up in a blink. I have as baicasters: Shimano, Pfluger, Daiwa. My favorite is the Shimano Curado for light/medium, for heavy I go with Calais. Anoter plus for Shimano is the easy access to oil the reel, no screw, just flip the side plate and you get full access inside.

PS: I have a Shimano Caenan for sale $50 firm (very litle used, a new one is $99+tax), I want to upgrade for Curado.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:14:49 PM by gogu392 »

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
I may be wrong but I bought my baitcaster thinking the drag system would be better for bigger fish like pike/musky.

If you want to use heavy superline & lock the drag, sure go baitcaster.
But on a fish that actually works the drag...most of them in baitcasters are crap (smaller discs & not as many).
Seen more than one guy come down to the pier over the years and have their Shimano Calcutta reduced to a quivering, jerky pile on a fresh King.

yakfishing