yakfishing

Author Topic: Spinning gear vs baitcasters  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Dips

• Old Salt
  • James - Hobie Outback/ Sundolphin Aruba 12SS
Re: Spinning gear vs baitcasters
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
I may be wrong but I bought my baitcaster thinking the drag system would be better for bigger fish like pike/musky. 

Yakfisher

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
I use both, for different reasons.
   I find a baitcaster is much better for anything that experiences loose line or where casting accuracy is a must. As far as tossing spoons or even stick baits I tend to favour the spinning reel. Swim baits are a bait caster.
   I also find bait casters handle heavier baits much better.

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
  For trolling, levelwinds are a no-brainer.

Another thing you have to remember is that manu's will push whatever makes them more money.  It is hard to build a solid spinner, not so hard to build a baitcaster.  And with a higher price tag & markup being a better fishing reel is not the reason why manu's are pushing baitcasters in the last decade.

They are the SUV's of the fishing world, IMHO.

Offline BMAC

• Yakfisher
  • Hobie Outback - "Olive"
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »

I find it much easier to place accurate casts with a baitcaster...  If you see your lure is going to overshoot your intended spot you can just thumb the line and the lure will fall where you want. Over the course of a day musky or bass fishing this will save me from fishing a few lures out of tree limbs etc.    Additionally for fighting a fish you have the option of putting your thumb on there when you want to apply a bit of extra pressure.

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Spinning gear vs baitcasters
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
When I fished with my dad as a kid (long, long ago) about the only kind of reels in existence were bait-casting type reels, which I learned to cast with. Then spinning reels came along which were touted as the be-all and end-all, and now the bait-casters are back. For most of my adult life I fished only infrequently then took it up again about 10 years ago, always with spinning gear.

My question is, why use a baitcaster at all - why not just stay with the spinning models? In kayaks we're sitting so close to the water the underhand pitch you see so much on tv is pretty much eliminated (I think) so that technique is not an issue (I think). I see plenty of baitcasters at the various tourneys and would be interested to hear comments from the affectionados out there. I'm not biased, just curious.

yakfishing