yakfishing

Author Topic: Canoe are they welcome? Ultimate Debate Continued  (Read 13125 times)

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Canoe are they welcome? Ultimate Debate Continued
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
It reminds me of "Where's the beef?" 
If you think the name "burger" is cool, don't forget a big piece of BEEF. That's what makes a burger.

... except for veggie burgers, a term now in common usage.  ;D

Offline malibo

• Newbie Yakker
  • "Likes to bite back "
    • Speedy Signs
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
Here i spent eight years perfecting my Yak so i could out race the hobies , dreaming that someday would have foot power ,   Any one a the market for a solt water 35lb trolling motor , lol battery not included , need that for my night lights

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
Their angler of the year definitely doesn't count canoe fish, and their first classic they weren't too keen on canoes either, and it was a fun exchange when they anointed themselves record keepers for Canadian "kayak" angling. 

If they let in canoes now for their Border Classic, great.

Always have allowed canoes here is the rule from the 2011 BCC.
7. Fishing must be done from a watercraft which is human powered the entire duration of the tournament. This watercraft must launch from the designated launch areas each day. The watercraft must meet or exceed all federal and provincial watercraft safety regulations. All participants must wear a personal floatation de-vice (PFD) while on the water at all times.

The rules for the AOTY are not clear as to what is allowed.  It says Human Powered kayaks including motors and sails.  I am pretty sure that includes canoes, Hybrids, and SUPs, as long as they are solo.

I haven't checked back in a season or two, but they definitely didn't count canoe fish for AOTY or kayak fishing records.  Mostly jealousy I think, I caught more salmon in one night than they did at their Moucha Bay get together.   :-*

Dunno about the Classic now, I stopped giving a frack.

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
Wonders how many laughs  and beers Jeff has had reading this.  :P

Oh he got right prissy the first time I dare suggested that a canoe was faster than a Hobie! 
Turns quicker too.
And reverse isn't that tricky.
Can fit a bigger cooler too.

;D

Offline yakryder

• Old Salt
  • Ultimate Outback Yak
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
Sorry, please excuse the off topic question.  Is there a BCC event this year?  Is it just a one day event?

Back to your original post....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:03:02 AM by yakryder »

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
Their angler of the year definitely doesn't count canoe fish, and their first classic they weren't too keen on canoes either, and it was a fun exchange when they anointed themselves record keepers for Canadian "kayak" angling. 

Always have allowed canoes here is the rule from the 2011 BCC.
7. Fishing must be done from a watercraft which is human powered the entire duration of the tournament. This watercraft must launch from the designated launch areas each day. The watercraft must meet or exceed all federal and provincial watercraft safety regulations. All participants must wear a personal floatation de-vice (PFD) while on the water at all times.

The rules for the AOTY are not clear as to what is allowed.  It says Human Powered kayaks including motors and sails.  I am pretty sure that includes canoes, Hybrids, and SUPs, as long as they are solo. 

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Wonders how many laughs  and beers Jeff has had reading this.  :P

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:25 AM »

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »
not sher dilli.  i did saw there on there web site under the derbys,,,,,,,

Primarlly for kayak anglers ,it is ecofriendly and open to all form off human powerd

so,,,,,, :o

but in the few doz i read in the usa all include canoe and sup,,some row boat etc

anyway,,,this tread is overdue now

no canoe and orher man powerd vessel other then kayak.

all ok..its a choice

joco

joco

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:42:53 PM by joco »

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »
   If there is still a need for a "what is a kayak" thread we should start a "what is a kayak" thread. This is/was the "are canoes allowed in the derby" thread. We have severely derailed from the original question. (myself included)

And this is why I split this portion from the initial thread.  Which I now realize doesn't belong in the Native forum and is now in the off topic forum.

Cabin fever has truly set in....

So... Should we take the fact that you moved this to 'off-topic' not 'kayak fishing' as a sign?

Lol

Sry, couldn't resist

In a thread that mentions Ultimate's AND canoes...on a kayak site that isn't really about kayaks...OMFG!

The "other" Canadian kayak fishing site doesn't allow canoes either, for their angler of the year contest nor their Classic tourney.  But most of the US ones (i.e. Kayak Wars) do.

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
pikecreek

i did say a few time that its ,,,is,,,,derby and can do what he want

all others even if there call kayak fishing derbies there open to all man power.
and its not even about safety those derby most off them are on the ocean.

joco
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:22:42 PM by joco »

Offline GHBayYak

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Yakmaster
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
   If there is still a need for a "what is a kayak" thread we should start a "what is a kayak" thread. This is/was the "are canoes allowed in the derby" thread. We have severely derailed from the original question. (myself included)

And this is why I split this portion from the initial thread.  Which I now realize doesn't belong in the Native forum and is now in the off topic forum.

So... Should we take the fact that you moved this to 'off-topic' not 'kayak fishing' as a sign?

Lol

Sry, couldn't resist

Offline PikeCreek

• Selected YF Moderators
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »
Joco, you are correct it will be very difficult to find an event that does not allow Canoes, but it was already said that the OKFS does not and Belly is correct that it is Jeff's choice to make it that way.  I still think the canak (dilli's canoe) should be considered a kayak.  The name canak pretty much says it all.  It is as much a kayak as the Hybrids are.

Michigan is an area that does not have a lot of Hobie Kayaks.  It isn't because they are rejected but because of the lack of support to the sport of Kayak Fishing from the Hobie Dealers in Michigan.  Don't forget Hobie was first a surf board company then it was the Hobiecat that made them famous.  A lot of dealers  that carried Hobiecat for years aren't interested in sponsoring a fishing team member and growing the sport of kayak fishing.  They sell sailboats and don't care.  It is their loss.  The company I am working has sold boats for over 50 years and in there 1st year selling Hobie, 85% of their kayaks sold were for fishing, not recreation.   There are other pockets in North America like Michigan.  I don't know who said that Hobie isn't big down south, in Florida they are very popular, as are all brands of kayaks.

Offline Adam

• Administrator
  • Old Salt
  • Site Owner - Outback LE #280
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:41:05 PM by Adam »

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
actualy.  i would like to no what kayak fishing derby dont allowed
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:31:18 PM by joco »

yakfishing