yakfishing

Author Topic: New RAM Wedge Mount :(  (Read 2563 times)

Offline yakryder

• Old Salt
  • Ultimate Outback Yak
Re: New RAM Wedge Mount :(
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
That bites, thanks for testing and letting me know before I ordered one. 

Yakfisher

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
yakfishing

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
  • Personal Trainer for Fish
    • YakDreams Kayak Fishing Den
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »
I will say this, unless it's specifically for Hobie built-in rod holders it likely wont' work. This is the same issue with the scotty adapters that I discovered when I was trying to reduce my holeage. They fit the black poly rod holders that come with most other kayaks just fine, however the Hobie ones are a little bigger diameter so they are a no go. I believe Scotty was supposed to bring something out specifically for Hobie but I haven't kept up since I came up with my solution.

Offline k4l3

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
It was installed as advertised and the lower half is now in there good, I cannot get it out. The upper half comes out no problem.

I have really liked RAM stuff until the last couple buys. The latest Scotty adapter doesn't even fit. Now we see Adam's buy not working as advertised.
  Issues in the quality control?????

Quality issue "Made in USA" shocker  ;D

Wait Hobie also "Made in USA", could it be the Hobie sail mask hole not Ram ball?

Both are "Made in USA", probably should outsource to Foxconn China :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:17:36 AM by k4l3 »

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »
It was installed as advertised and the lower half is now in there good, I cannot get it out. The upper half comes out no problem.

I have really liked RAM stuff until the last couple buys. The latest Scotty adapter doesn't even fit. Now we see Adam's buy not working as advertised.
  Issues in the quality control?????

Offline GHBayYak

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Yakmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
Permanantly jammed on purpose, or because it's poorly designed?

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
I just got a ram ball wedge and it is too long for the Scotty flush mount. Called Ram and they just said "it'll bevfine". Not impressed.
   I have another wedge permanently jammed in the sail mast hole

Offline Adam

• Administrator
  • Old Salt
  • Site Owner - Outback LE #280
New RAM Wedge Mount :(
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
I'm starting to rig up my Outback and am trying to find a way to drill as few holes in it as possible.  RAM came out this year with a much large wedge mount that is supposed to be used in built in rod tubes holders.

I was planning on using this in my right front rod tube, coupled with a 9" arm holding a Humminbird mount for my 5 series fishfinder.

After assembling it and fitting the o-rings top and bottom, I put it in the rod holder tube. It was like tossing a hot dog down a hallway.  There was no way this was going to tighten up.  I removed both o-rings and wrapped the same areas with electrical tape.  Again, it couldn't tighten up to what I need it to.  As the molded rod tubes are ever so slightly tapered this may have something to do with it.  I even tried re-wrapping the ends in hockey tape, hoping the friction would be greater.  Nope.

So here a fair warning all Hobie folks.  These will not work as you hope.

yakfishing