yakfishing

Author Topic: Your First Kayak Transporting Experience  (Read 3342 times)

Offline tarpon100

• Yakfisher
Re: Your First Kayak Transporting Experience
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm going to repeat my mantra again.

If you don't use a bow line the security of the yak/rack installation is totally dependent on the two front roof rack clips holding it to the door frame. The wind pressure coming up over the hood and under the bow of the kayak that is created by traveling at highway speed is considerable (put your hand out the window and see). A few years ago a forum member had his yak and roof rack tear right off his vehicle. Fortunately he was on a back road and no other car was around but if that happened on the 401 the possibility of causing a serious accident is extremely high if the rack breaks off and all it takes is one simple rope to prevent it.

I consider the stern line to be more to prevent the yak becoming a spear in the case of emergency braking but holding it down is good as well.

I know I sound like a broken record but be safe gang. Someone's family could be behind you if the yak/rack assembly breaks loose.

Thanks for the detailed info and advise. I will for sure head out very soon and get whatever I need to add at least a bow (and possibly a stern) tie-down.

A question. With my vehicle I don't have any hook on the front, and I assume I need to:

* Open car hood
* Unscrew some screw
* Find something with a hole to go through the screw, and then re-tie the screw (But where can I can this thing? Sorry I don't know what it is called, but I think it is a short say about-one-foot-long strap with one side with a hole to screw to the above hole on vehicle frame under hood, and with a loop on other end). Similar to this I think:

* Leave the strap's end with the loop outside/above hood permanently
* Then with a rope tie yak's bow to this loop on the end of the strap

(Sorry not sure if I made myself understood, though;-)

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:48:52 AM by tarpon100 »

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
I'm going to repeat my mantra again.

If you don't use a bow line the security of the yak/rack installation is totally dependent on the two front roof rack clips holding it to the door frame. The wind pressure coming up over the hood and under the bow of the kayak that is created by traveling at highway speed is considerable (put your hand out the window and see). A few years ago a forum member had his yak and roof rack tear right off his vehicle. Fortunately he was on a back road and no other car was around but if that happened on the 401 the possibility of causing a serious accident is extremely high if the rack breaks off and all it takes is one simple rope to prevent it.

I consider the stern line to be more to prevent the yak becoming a spear in the case of emergency braking but holding it down is good as well.

I know I sound like a broken record but be safe gang. Someone's family could be behind you if the yak/rack assembly breaks loose.

Offline k4l3

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 04:17:25 AM »
I load the yak the night before. In the morning just get up and go.
You must have a garage or something?

At my place I park on the street, and at my in-laws they have a driveway but even then I wouldn't risk leaving it overnight. Takes less than 5 minutes to take it off.

Same here: I load the yak the night before. In the morning just get up and go.

And, yes overnight before the trip I just leave the yak and car on my driveway outside. No lock, no nothin';-)

As to how I load or transport my yak, this is what I have done since Day 1:

You should consister adding a bow/stern lines, you won't have to tighten down the strap as much.  So on hot summer days you won't be surprise went seeing hull warp.

Leaving it strap down on roof rack over night is fine but wouldn't leave it strap down over couple days...   Don't store kayak strap down or over bars because the plastic will melt/bend etc...
Not all kayak made the same and few have told me how they had to fix the dent in there kayak after leaving it on bars/strap in the sun.  All brand like Ocean,WS,Hobie hull will warped due to strap/sun/heat.

I seen kayaker arriving to events or outting where there kayak was all warp due to over tighting the straps down on cross roof bars or j-bars.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:26:33 AM by k4l3 »

Offline tarpon100

• Yakfisher
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 04:07:43 AM »

At my place I park on the street, and at my in-laws they have a driveway but even then I wouldn't risk leaving it overnight. Takes less than 5 minutes to take it off.

Same here: I load the yak the night before. In the morning just get up and go.

And, yes overnight before the trip I just leave the yak and car on my driveway outside. No lock, no nothin';-)

As to how I load or transport my yak, this is what I have done since Day 1:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:09:03 AM by tarpon100 »

Offline Santiago

• Yakfisher
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »

Cable lock. Never had an issue leaving it on my driveway locked up.

Wow dude, that's a brilliant idea! Can't believe I hadn't thought about that!

I might just do that. Thing is, I plan on going maybe twice a week, never on consecutive days, so I'm going to have to remove it anyway when I'm done with it. Like I said, doesn't take me long to put up/take off, but if I didn't mind having it on more often, I'd definitely use the cable lock now.

Offline Vee

• Yakmaster
  • The Outback Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »

Cable lock. Never had an issue leaving it on my driveway locked up.

Offline Santiago

• Yakfisher
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Vee

• Yakmaster
  • The Outback Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline Santiago

• Yakfisher
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
DUDE LOL

I had the exact same worry!

When I first brought mine home I thought "what a bitch this is going to be every time to have to do this".

Not only did the kayak itself seem heavier and bulkier, but thinking I'd damage the car/kayak each time too.

The morning before I was to take it on my first lunch all I could think about was all that and the trip, will it come loose? Fall? Oh boy. I was dreading even taking it out and questioning why I got this in the first place.

But the morning I loaded it to try it for the first time, and used the towel method I came across online, IT WAS A BREEZE. What a relief dude, now I enjoy the process, takes no time. If it takes me 5 minutes to untie it all and remove it, it takes me too long. :)

Offline thecrashton

• Yakfisher
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
YES - if using foam blocks a towel is key lol. i learned this the hard way and have a nice little knick from some gravel or something on the roof of my nice new 2012 white mazda 3 hahaha. did i ever feel stupid.

once you really get the hang of it, will only take a few minutes. i used to think "hmmm am i really going to want to get out of bed at 5am and strap the kayak to the car before going fishing" really thought it was going to be a hassle but it honestly takes me a couple of minutes to do from start to finish.

Offline Santiago

• Yakfisher
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
LOL I was wondering when I'd come across someone from there or vice-versa.

Yeah I bought the foam block kayak carrier kit and tried it. The way it was meant to hold the kayak was upright with the bottom sitting on the blocks. First time ever trying to mount a kayak or anything for that matter on a roof rack. When I finally had it on, stern and bow tied down, and one strap in the middle, I didn't feel safe travelling with it like that. 45 minutes it took me to do it all and play around with it, and it still moved back and forth when I tried moving it.

So I took it all apart, removed the foam blocks, laid it flat upside down, and it stayed on better that way.

However, later on while on the highway, I noticed it move one time to the side, moved quite a bit. I quickly pulled over and tightened it further.

What I was doing wrong, I noticed, was when placing the strap around the top, I was wrapping either side around through the cross bar, which when tightened, makes it so the kayak doesn't slide at all. Hard to explain, but yeah, I've got no issue with it now, it's a breeze to load/unload/use.

But man was I ever dreading driving with it the first time. I thought the guys at Bass Pro would help with this, that way I'd know how to do it, but not even for an extra fee could they, said it's a liability or something.

I've seen the J racks, if I buy my girlfriend a kayak I'm going to need those. Seems most I see on the road travelling with kayaks use these.

Oh yeah and for loading the kayak on and off, I simply place a beach towel on the top rear (I drive an 04 Santa Fe base) and slide the kayak up with the bottom touching the car. Once up, I then flip the kayak upside down and proceed to tie it down. To remove, I take the same steps in reverse. Super easy, super fast, does no damage to either the kayak nor the vehicle.

First time I took it down I tried doing so from the side and left a nice big mark on the car.

NOTE: How do you guys store your kayaks at home? I leave mine outside, leaving on its side again the fence. Will the heat from the sun damage the shape? Is it better to lay it flat upside down on the ground?

First time I tried attaching it on, I strapped it down to the car too tight that it dented the bottom a bit, but thankfully that eventually popped back out.

Offline Santiago

• Yakfisher
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
LOL I was wondering when I'd come across someone from there or vice-versa.

Yeah I bought the foam block kayak carrier kit and tried it. The way it was meant to hold the kayak was upright with the bottom sitting on the blocks. First time ever trying to mount a kayak or anything for that matter on a roof rack. When I finally had it on, stern and bow tied down, and one strap in the middle, I didn't feel safe travelling with it like that. 45 minutes it took me to do it all and play around with it, and it still moved back and forth when I tried moving it.

So I took it all apart, removed the foam blocks, laid it flat upside down, and it stayed on better that way.

However, later on while on the highway, I noticed it move one time to the side, moved quite a bit. I quickly pulled over and tightened it further.

What I was doing wrong, I noticed, was when placing the strap around the top, I was wrapping either side around through the cross bar, which when tightened, makes it so the kayak doesn't slide at all. Hard to explain, but yeah, I've got no issue with it now, it's a breeze to load/unload/use.

But man was I ever dreading driving with it the first time. I thought the guys at Bass Pro would help with this, that way I'd know how to do it, but not even for an extra fee could they, said it's a liability or something.

Offline lov2fish

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
It was this past April... I had a hand the first time I put them up.  My wife and I have Tarpon 140's and we normally put them on J racks on a Vibe.  Now I lift the kayaks up by myself without too much problem.  The j racks are Malone racks from Jenda and come with some straps and some good ropes for the bow and stern.  The racks are great.  I have also put my kayak on top of my car which is a Matrix... same as the Vibe but used foam blocks on my car.  Maybe a little more difficult but still not a huge problem. The roof sometimes dents in a bit but it always pops back out.  The straps go through the doors of the car and then over the top of the kayak.  I tighten them down and then and then use two ropes at the bow and two at the stern.  The kayak sits up there well and I have driven over an hour with the kayak on the foam blocks without a problem.  Didn't even need to tighten anything up.  The j racks you could probably drive forever without a problem. Comparing from the first time until now I can probably get the kayaks up and down quicker for sure.

Offline thecrashton

• Yakfisher
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
hey santiago

i'm christotheashto on OFF we've been chatting all afternoon :)

i just used the foam blocks, still do. two tie downs over the hull, then tie downs from the bow to car and stern to car. very secure

Offline Wahoo

• Yakfisher
  • Durado II
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
One day 2 trips, 1 kayak. 2 weekends ago, 3km and 200kmx2. Back of a Tacoma and then back of a Sierra. 2 tie downs worked fine.  This kayak was only 40lbs and 10ft. Loadings and securing was a matter of a couple minutes.

Worried now as I now have a 12 footer and my Tacoma only has 2 d-rings at the back of the bed. I have an idea of what I will do, will post of picture when I get out with it.

yakfishing