yakfishing

Author Topic: Jan 11 - Simcoe Report  (Read 2220 times)

Offline MichaelAngelo

• Yakmaster
    • Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Re: Jan 11 - Simcoe Report
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
Nice performance.
How much did you walk from Shanty (shore)?
What depth did you drill the holes?
Tight lines.

80 fow to 120+ fow.  I just like to walk away from everyone else... doesn't seem to matter fish-wise.  But I'm a beginner.

You can access deep water in a few hundred meters of walking.

Yakfisher

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
yakfishing

Offline Thracus

• Yakmaster
  • Wavewalk S4
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
Nice performance.
How much did you walk from Shanty (shore)?
What depth did you drill the holes?
Tight lines.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:56:01 PM by Gogan »

Offline MichaelAngelo

• Yakmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:21:55 PM »
Beautiful fish. The rain stayed down here all day yesterday lol. Do you fish near lake couchiching  mouth at between simcoe?

I walked out from Shanty Bay (Line 2).  Have you ever fished the are you mentioned?  I'd be willing to try if somebody can show me around. 

Offline shooter

• Yakmaster
  • live for today
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »
Beautiful fish. The rain stayed down here all day yesterday lol. Do you fish near lake couchiching  mouth at between simcoe?

Offline Yakster

• Yakmaster
  • Jackson Cuda 14. Hobie PA 14
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:23:23 AM »
you got some good fish karma. ...nice work

Offline Dave

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Coosa, Hobie Outback Woodstock, ON
    • Kayak Wars catches
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
go get 'em.  Awesome fishing!

Offline De-tension

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
Great report.  Good luck tomorrow.

Offline MichaelAngelo

• Yakmaster
Jan 11 - Simcoe Report
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »
Walked out from Oro Line 2 today in some awesome weather.  Wind was nonexistant and the air was nice and warm.  Ice was firm, not too much slush on top.  There were maybe a few inches of slush in some places where snow had accumulated. 

I walked out quite a bit past the crowds and drilled 2 holes.  I was looking for whitefish, but got into some lakers instead.  The first hit I got came off after a second, so I guess he just grabbed the tail of my tube.  The second fish barely fought at all... had he not chased me up 20 feet I'd have thought he was a whitefish LOL. 

Turns out he was my new PB laker at 9.5 lbs.. and a natural fish too (I think!)

Fished this spot a bit and marked nothing more.  I walked around a lot, staying deep over 120 FOW.  Every new hole I popped I'd mark maybe 1 fish or nothing at all.  I returned to my starting point since I figured I couldn't do any better walking around getting "exercise" LOL. 

This time around, it took maybe two hours to get 3 more lakers.  One of them I accidentally snagged on the bad boys I was fishing for whitefish!  My line felt funny all of a sudden, so I set the hook into a fish.  When it got to the hole I noticed it was hooked between the pectoral fins... wild!  Released immediately.

This next one rose up to a deadsticked swimbait which I reeled away when he approached.

This next 8.5 lb stocker rose up to a deadsticked tube which I reeled away when he approached. 

Someone said the weather was supposed to be bad today?  Silly weatherman :P  Kidding aside, the rain cleared in time for sunset. 

Despite investing some time in yo-yo-ing my laker baits, all of the interest I attracted was from dead sticking.  Hey, can't say that this technique doesn't work!  3 for 5 today!  Whoo!  That's better than my Simcoe average of zero :P

Back at it tomorrow!

yakfishing