yakfishing

Author Topic: Kayak for kids  (Read 2714 times)

Offline The big cahuda

• Yakfisher
Re: Kayak for kids
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
True about the Frontier but it is a beast...have no where to put it.  Looking for a relatively light kayak I can store in my garage on the ceiling and be able to manhandle down to the water.  Have seen a lot of reviews on them...great kayak.  Decisions, decisions.

Yakfisher

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
yakfishing

Offline DuFf

• Yakfisher
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
A Frontier 12 comes stock with two seats and will take 650 lbs.
Stable enough the kid can move around, in fact you can both stand up in it.

DuFf

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:13:38 PM by DuFf »

Offline Fuzzy Tomato

• Yakmaster
  • Native Ultimate 14.5/ Jackson Big Rig /T100
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
I agree with Belly on the T100.  Bought one for my then 8 year old.  My then 6 year old was able to handle it with no issues its a great boat.

I also want to add that my brother who is no small fry fished 5 days in St Clair from the Purple Princess and he was more then impressed with the boats ability to handle big water

Cheers

Derek
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:23:44 AM by Fuzzy Tomato »

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
And it is wide enough I dont think I will need to add stabilizers.

Young kids are way at balancing than us old folks anyway!

Offline The big cahuda

• Yakfisher
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
Nice review Bellybuster.  I thought really hard about the T100...just thought it might be too big/heavy for a small child.  The more I think about it the more I like it.  I figure if I get a really cheap kayak, he will outgrow it and will have to buy another one anyways.  With the T100, the wife can use it as well.  And it is wide enough I dont think I will need to add stabilizers.

Debated over a canoe, but too big and no where to store it...Going to start looking on line, hopefully I can still find a 2013 on sale somewhere.

Offline Bellybuster

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Revo13, Hobie Quest, Tarpon 140, Tarpon100,
    • My web page
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
tarpon 100 !!!
   Cant say enough good things about it. My daughter is a tiny little thing and has no issues. Id say she was 8 or 9 when we got it. She's 13 now and still loves it.
   I bought it used after a few members here had already owned it.
here's my review of the T100 That little boat was the deciding factor in my T140 purchase
http://www.yakfisher.net/smffiles/index.php?topic=4133.msg33492#msg33492

Offline MikeM

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
hi,

Instead of a tandem have you considered adding regular ol' canoe to the fleet? 

I'm not sure how practical it is to have two yaks for fishing, particularly if you want to be close at hand to help out with knot tying, fish netting,  tangle - undoing, etc.

Offline Yakster

• Yakmaster
  • Jackson Cuda 14. Hobie PA 14
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
If I had kids I would have to say a Big Tuna...the seat arrangement is so versatile.

Offline Thomas

• Yakfisher
  • WS Commander 120
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
I have a ws commander 12, and what I have been doing is sitting in the captains seat and sliding the other seat all the way forward and my son sits there. It works well, except with no back support for myself, outing time is limited.

I did take him down to Jenda in the fall and test paddled a few and the one that suited him best was a venus 10 SOT, designed for women. It was very stable and since it was narrower then the other 10', he booted around no problem without banging his fingers on the sides. He also tried the Rambler 9.5 and Pescador 8. He did well in both, but I felt that the venus was better tracking and more stable.

Will likely purchase in the spring, unless something used pops up of similar size and stability.

Offline The big cahuda

• Yakfisher
Kayak for kids
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with child sized kayaks.  Was thinking of a Tarpon 100 but probably still too big for a 6 year old.  Definitely want a SOT...

Kid is getting to big to sit with me in my Cuda.  If not, any thoughts on a tandem...i.e., Hobie.  Anyone take their children with them in their kayaks?

Thanks,

yakfishing