yakfishing

Author Topic: Mounting fishfinder on a PA  (Read 164 times)

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
Mounting fishfinder on a PA
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
Hi All.  I bought a Humminbird Helix and want to mount it on my PA but I don't want it stationary.  Boat position changes and the suns direction changes so I want the finder to be able to swivel up/down and left/right.  Would I use a gimbal mount for this?  Please advise.
Thanks

Yakfisher.Net Forums

Mounting fishfinder on a PA
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
yakfishing

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback
Re: Mounting fishfinder on a PA
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »
RAM ball mount.

Offline wink

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Hobie Fishing Team, Scotty Paddle Prod, Gill
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
For next time Hobie does have an adapter kit to mount a hummingbird transducer with no modification required

Online Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
  • 57yr old enthusiastic newbie and proud Hobie owner
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
I also went with a Humminbird Helix 5 for my first sonar on my first yak, a 12ft Pro Angler. I had an aversion to drilling holes in my boat so decided to go with a purpose built RAM mount for Humminbirds (from Bass Pro Shop) and a 1.5 in ball clamp for the H-rail. The good people at Fogh Marine helped me out!!

Offline letterman1

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Thanks helipilot.  My helix is the 7", probably overkill but happy fathers day to me.  Have you used urs on the water yet?  My question is, does the ram ball tighten up enough to hold urs in place or is it a bit wobbly?  Also, did u buy at basspro or fogh.
Thanks again

Online Helipilot69

• Junior Yakker
  • 57yr old enthusiastic newbie and proud Hobie owner
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
Hi letterman1!  Happy to help. I seriously thought about a Helix 7 but am very happy with my Helix 5 .  I've only used it about 4 times and am just getting acquainted with it's features.

I'm really impressed with the RAM mount!! Super steady, easy to adjust and reposition and easy to tighten up. I guess there is a reason the motorcycle guys love them.
I got a good peice of advice from the guy I bought
my PA from; he said avoid the 1 inch ball mounts and go directly to the 1.5 inch size, much steadier.

I bought the RAM mount at Pro Bass and the H-rail clamp/ ball at Fogh (although Fogh might have both ? ? ?).  You just loosen off the RAM tension screw , remove the original ball that acts as a base and replace it with the Hobie clamp and ball assembly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:31:33 PM by Helipilot69 »

Online YAKMAN ONT

• Yakfisher
  • Keep your line in the water. JK CUDA LT, JK KILROY
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 03:59:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/jHOnFd-8cnc
I to went with RAM ...

Offline Unchained

• Yakfisher
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
another vote for RAM ball mount and RAM arm.  Also, Helix 7...nice!  Will need to see pics after you get it installed.  Definitely not overkill, especially on a PA

allows the fishfinder to move in a near infinite number of positions within a significant hemisphere.  It's exactly what you're looking for.  Probably would cost about $65 all in?

Here's my post from a year or so ago

I rigged up the transducer, power and battery for my Helix 5 DI GPS .  I also have a ram mount for it (1.5" ball  and about a 6" arm).  Should give me  plenty of manoeuvrability with it.   

The Hobie humminbird transducer adapter worked like a charm.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:26:00 AM by Unchained »

yakfishing