yakfishing

Author Topic: what to wear in very cold condition.?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
what to wear in very cold condition.?
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
HI ALL.

whit the spring coming and lakers seaona starting in a couple off weeks..i am thinking going for all speices off trout this spring at ice out.(in the yak) BUT.i dont have any dry suit for real cold condition.

what do you guys where for very cold water condition...?

or you just stay close to shore and wear reg clothing.?

i am thinking gething a dry suit...but they sher are expensive.

joco

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
Re: what to wear in very cold condition.?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
Joco, last fall I was out until November and just wearing layered clothing.  I did find it bloody cold when water splashed into the cockpit (no spray skirt).  A dry suit is quite expensive and not currently on my wish list but I'd be very interested to hear what other folks are doing in colder temps...

Don

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »
I did went yaking for crappy in november and was braking ice in front off me..and the last thing i want to do its going down..in the middle off the bay stuck in all that ice all around me.

i will get something..a dry suit or wet suit or wathever..looking now at some diving suit to..but there not the best to paddle.

will see what other guys are wearing.

but there is a great chance that i will get a 5mm wet suit..because i will wear it to do some snorkling and spearfishing to.

thanks DON.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:45:43 PM by joco »

Offline njones

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:57:44 AM »
Thin wetsuit is the way to go, with maybe a fleece over it.
If you do fall in, without one, you could lose too much body heat to make the shore, plus even a 3mm will give a lot of bouyancy, and it isn't too hot when you paddle.
I was really lucky last year, we have a german supermarket chain, they have small stores, but have different offers every week to make up for the small range, and their prices are really low. One week they offered 3mm full wetsuits for $60, good quality too, then the next week it was fishing gear, and I got a tiny waterproof fish finder for $60, pretty basic, shows depth and fish, but not bottom structure, but for that price who cares, its good enough.
Maybe try getting one on the net, probably expensive for you locally

Offline gwright

• Retail Partner
  • Junior Yakker
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »
For early spring and late fall, I use a layered approach with an outer shell consisting of paddle boots, paddling gloves, dry pants and a semi dry top. Never had a problem yet. I do use a rod leash as the rod can be difficult to hold while casting with the gloves on. This set-up allowed me to stay out until the last week in November last year.

A dry suit is definitely on the wish list.

Offline njones

• Junior Yakker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
http://www.kayakacademy.com/drysuit.html
There's one to check out. I used to do a lot of scuba diving in the UK, and with water temps down to 6 degrees in winter a dry suit is a must, but if you're on the surface I think they might be a little sweaty, I know I used to get fed up with the suit when we out for the day, too hot and the neck seal was irritating.  Neoprene socks or boots and thin neoprene gloves are great too.

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »
thanks for replys guys.... ;)

my first choice would be a dry suit..but over here not mutch 500$..if not more.

I got friend that do freedive for spearfishing..and they use 5 to 7mm wet suit..but good one and flexible ones.and they dive in winter wit those.

so i might look into those..because i want to use them to spearfish to and snoekling so 2 jobs .

and mabe a john suit thiner to witout the arms..for a bit warmer days.

thanks again..

i am looking for some use dry suit on the net..sometime get some real good ones not expensives.

joco

Offline jjmoser

• Junior Yakker
  • Gotta love SE MI Smallies
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »
Now I have not went out yet but I plan to use my ice armor that I use for icefishing.  I use it on a 16' lund boat all spring as soon as the ice melts for walleyes on the Detroit River.  I also use it as my primary rain suit.  I have came off the ice and back from a rainy day on the river bone dry unless I am laying on the ice sightfishing cus I forgot my coup.  Then I will get a little wet. 

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
 i am going today to shop for a wet suit...farmer john. type.

there not to expensive...looking for a 5,5 to 7mm.good for cold water yaking and scuba diving.

but i have to find one that is very flexible for the paddling.

mabe next year i will get a dry suit....or get the dry coat and the farmer jon under will see.

but i will have something for lakers/trout openeing season.

any ideal or deal you guys saw somewhere is great to no.

joco

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »
Marco, Body Glove johns are on sale at Costco for $19.99.  I bought one a few years back for wakeboarding and still have it.  Great price...

Don

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
wow this is a great price........ :o

how many MM it as..?

i need something to go cold water snorkling kind off stuff.

joco.

Offline Don

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »
No idea dude, though I assume it's for warm weather water sports.  Mine is nothing special but when wakeboarding i've never gotten chilled like I have going with just a pfd on over nothing...

For $20, it's cheap enough to just try out for fun ya know...

Don

Offline joco

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
    • joco@yakfisher.net
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
HI DON.

OK i got my wet suit at costco today...wep 20$,,wit the coupons...what a deal.

BUT.i just try it fit..BUT you sher dont want to see me in it.. :o :D :D :D..not that nice. :D.

its ony a 3mm.but good anaught for at least colder days in summer..could go in a couple weeks more hurly and later,,and all off this for 20$$ not bad at all...it a nice suit to.

but there was some many stuff there.got a snorkling kit for the wife got 2 swimming board for swimming and snorkling..

and for,people that want to get a cheap sit on top 2 person kayak..there was a nice one there for 359$ aprox..nice yak to have fun in summer time .

thanks don..great tips.

i am still looking for a colder suit but for the price.can t go wrong at all.

joco

Offline ravinerat

• Newbie Yakker
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
Well the options are endless. We were paddling cold water long before dry suits but you sure can't beat them. I do a lot of white water in cold water and staying warm for the day is important. If paddling a kayak here's a few options.

If you wear a skirt you could go with just a dry top. Tucked into the spray skirt they will keep water out and heat in. I also have a paddling top. The gasket at the neck is usually neopreen so water could get in. Again it is only tucked into the spary skirt. two piece dry suit. top, pants. Still quite an expense if your not paddling in ice water. IF your paddling in end of may and june then the days are usually warm. a wet suit is a good choice. A farmer john with a paddling top works great. If you get a dunking then you can get out and the sun can warm you up. You can still layer with a wet suit on. Fleece pants and top. Rain pants or wind pants really keep the heat in on cold days. Don't forget about the head. a good neopreen skull cap is worth the money. Problem with wool hats and such they just don't stay on if you get a dunking.   Places like Mountian Co Op has lots of options when it comes to paddling gear.  www.mec.ca 
Even a good rain coat with fleece layered will keep you comfortable. If your paddling the shallows or close to shore you'll be ok. Any farther out you need a wet suit or Dry suit.

One improtant thing people don't think about is getting seperated from their boat. A 6' piece of floating rope on either end really helps keeping the boat close at hand in an up set. Reentry techniques are important too. It gets you out of the water fast and floating again.

One thing I found when paddling a SOT last fall fishing was how set my legs were all the time. I think I'd be wearing rain pants in the fall even if I weren't wearing a wet suit.

RR

yakfishing