yakfishing

Author Topic: home made downrigger  (Read 3878 times)

Online dwc67

• Yakmaster
  • trolling is easier when you dont have to paddle
home made downrigger
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »
i have owned a laketroller and they work but your cable thickness gives too much blow back with a small ball.

we run 2lb dropper balls on 30lb wire or braid when we are fishing deep (150 plus down). i figured why not use a 2lb ball on 30lb braid or wire rod as my rigger

heres what  i came up with.
the stand i made out of aluminum pipe and angle i got at metal supermarket 10$
i put a notch in the bottom with a 1/4 drill to lock in the gimbel mount.
 i had an old walker rigger rod with broken eyes so i cut that down

the line is tight to the right side of the yak so the side pull isn't too bad

i am using a soft (walleye) offshore release. with the line all the way into the release i get good tension but it also releases on the strike. too much tension the 2lb ball will just stay on the line

with 72ft of line out i am bumping bottom in 50ft at 2.5mph trolling with a spoon.

it worked pretty well today even though i just got shaker kings, it released every time

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:01:50 AM by dwc67 »

Offline Dilligaf0220

• Old Salt
Re: home made downrigger
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
  Slick.

Offline Flyfisher

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • John 3:16
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Very nice!
Blessings
Jeremy

Offline Don

• Yakfisher Founding Member
  • Old Salt
  • www.facebook.com/kayakfishing
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
Very nice!

Offline shaggie

• Yakfisher
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking, just haven't picked up all the pieces yet.
Have you run a 4lb ball off it and is it too much drag?

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
  • Personal Trainer for Fish
    • YakDreams Kayak Fishing Den
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
I was going to do similar but broke down and bought a Laketroller, 65lb braid to replace the wire, a snubber, fish shaped low drag 4lb ball, hoping this all works out, did a lot of research! :)

Haven't got mounting and what not figured out, but hopefully soon.

If anyone interested Sail has the mini Canon riggers on for $60 but they are clamp mount. I was going to go clamp mount Scotty and put it on the side of my crate, and of course firmly attach my crate (dollar store tie wraps each time I go out).

thx for sharing the info. dwc 70/50 isn't too bad for a low drag setup at all

Neil

Online dwc67

• Yakmaster
  • trolling is easier when you dont have to paddle
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking, just haven't picked up all the pieces yet.
Have you run a 4lb ball off it and is it too much drag?

Thanks,
Kevin

no i have just used the 2 lb, with a 4 lb i figure the ratio would be 1to 1 down 60ft

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
  • Don - Hobie Outback - Toronto
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »
I've ordered a Laketroller and it should be here pretty soon.

Neil, say "pretty please" to BMAC to post some photos of the Laketroller setup he has in his Outback. Very slick and works like a charm with a 4 lb. ball although I'm going to try a lighter streamlined one as well. Also, if possible I'm going to cut the boom arm the shortest it can be and still clear the gunwale to cut down on the lever force on the mount.

BMAC didn't catch anything with it on Saturday but he was always trolling at the exact depth he wanted to be.

Offline fishbait

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Yakmaster
  • Hobie Fishing Team. Muskoka
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »
don   I have a lake troller we may want to talk act swivel mount before you cit the arm   Id make a shorter arm and save the one that comes with it. a short piece of aluminium worked for me. the swivel base would allow u to move arm in when not in use  . u could also have a knob instead of allen key that would allow u to slide arm in ,, hope that made some sense... gary

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
I'll have a close look at it when it arrives.

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »
BMAC, pretty please post some pics before I start drilling! :)

...actually I will be doing the 3 new flushmounts anyways so no biggie :)

I was going to use mine on a Scotty flush mount behind the rear factory rod holder, mounted with a backing plate reinforcement. I think the position will be ideal for reach and to keep the drag near the back of the yak.

Don, using a scotty mount style lake troller in this way instead of a clamp mount, couldn't you just rotate it a little instead of shortening it?

Offline The Red Rocket

• Yakfisher Armada
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
Hey, Neil - a flush mount ... now there's a thought, and a good one. There would be less leverage on the hull from the mounting bolts.

BMAC should be discussing this with you but he's probably at work. His installation is at the aft end of the tray that's under his right forearm when he's leaning back in the seat pedaling. So when he's pedaling it's right behind his right elbow. This position allows him to lower the ball while pedaling so the line doesn't get tangled up with the cable.

Would the downrigger fit down in the tray if I were to install a flush mount in the position described above? I'll check it out.

Yes, you can rotate the boom but the amount of leverage would remain the same, it would just be at a different angle. Reducing the length of the lever arm would reduce the strain on the installation, wouldn't you think?

Offline BMAC

• Yakfisher
  • Hobie Outback - "Olive"
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
Neil,

I don't have any pics yet but I essentially put the Scotty as far back as it could go in the right tray ( behind the seat). I think its the best spot for a regular rodholder (grab the rod and set the hook in one motion) but also is a good position for the downrigger. I am actually using a 6 lb ball and there was a little flex in the base but it is significantly decreased when I rotated the arm to bring it in closer to the  boat. I didnt use a backing plate but used big washers, lock washers and capped nuts to put it  on underneath... I also have monkey arms so this location may be tough for a lot of people work with..

The spot you are suggesting I think would be much stronger but its another foot or so back. I wasn't confident that I could crank it up back there while fighting a fish... I also like to use the rear rodholders to hold rods/ net etc...

One idea I had that I still might play with is to make some sort of a bracket that hooks onto the handle on the right side.. That thing is strong enough that you could use as heavy a ball as you want and the position would be even easier to crank..

I will try and take some pics for you when I get some time..

Cheers

Offline YakDreams

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
it's a b1tch reaching back their for sure as I discovered when I used nuts for my sidekick mount.....which is right about where you put your DR mount I bet. My arm pits were bruised for weeks! lol

Now I'm thinking that spot behind the rear rod holders is reachable from the rear hatch. It's a popular spot to put a flush mount so it can't be that hard. One thing I should point out tho is the  flushmount has to be put on an angle as close to the outside as possible, this keeps the nuts/bolts from interfering with the rudder lines.

I was trying to think of someway I could incorporate my rod holder tubes/scupper tubes and sidekick mount to make something that wouldn't require drilling, but I've thought about it so much it's giving me a headache, lol. I think I'll keep it simple, scotty mounts, I've used them for years and never had structural issues or leaks or had a mount fail.

I agree that handle could come in handy, I bought some oversize u-bolt 1" ram mounts, have debated putting one on their with the FF.

....just had a brain fart previewing the post. On my last yak I mounted standard scotty mounts sideways on the innerwalls (gunwhale?), could put one this way in the rear tank well, might be less intrusive to rudder lines, might take some thought as far as crate positioning that's if crate is to be used.

Offline Dips

• Old Salt
  • James - WS Commander 140, Hobie Outback

yakfishing